UBC Botanical Garden Forums  

» UBC Botanical Garden

Go Back   UBC Botanical Garden Forums > Araceae

Araceae Aroids - Growing, Propagation, Identification, Appreciation and more!

Post New ThreadReply

Old March 17th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Registered (1-2 posts)

Cutting back a Philodendron

We have a very large Philodendron growing in our fern garden. It is really too big now and is almost pushing out the shade cloth. I am wondering if I cut it back will shoots grow from the cut stump? Also, if this is possible, what is the best time of year to cut it back, please? I live in Australia.

Thank you.
Old April 1st, 2012, 01:53 AM
Contributor (100-499 posts)

Re: Cutting back a Philodendron

Is it one of the self-heading types [ with large trunk] or a more thinner stem climbing species . Thinner one will sprout back easily , other will not , unless it has a shoot down low already . You can force a shoot by slicing into stem and part severing it .. though should have been done a few months ago .
Old April 1st, 2012, 05:02 AM
Registered (1-2 posts)

Thank you. trikus! Yes, it does have a large trunk. Bearing in mine your advise, and the fact that it is dormant during our Perth winter, I think I will leave cutting it until later in the year. Thank you, again, for your advise. :) (Ah, Queensland, beautiful one day, perfect the next.)
Old April 1st, 2012, 07:59 PM
Contributor (100-499 posts)

If any new roots come from the top growing point ,train them into a pot , you might be able to save it also if some roots have grown into a pot . I would be tempted to cut a little hole in shadecloth and let it grow thru' . If possible just let the new leaf squeeze out , and slowly chop off leaves inside as new ones grow outside .. Cannot rush these things ;-)
Post New ThreadReply