UBC Botanical Garden Forums  

» UBC Botanical Garden

Go Back   UBC Botanical Garden Forums > Gardening for Backyard Biodiversity in Canada

Gardening for Backyard Biodiversity in Canada This forum is maintained by UBC Botanical Garden and Centre for Plant Research to promote backyard biodiversity and habitats in Canada as part of the Garden's partnership with the Canadian Wildlife Federation.

Post New ThreadReply

Old October 14th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Contributor (30-99 posts + 20 days registered)

2011 "Most Attractive to Bees" plants!

I just wanted to post that this year in our garden I made an extra effort to plant diverse, bee-friendly plants (particularly since beekeeping is now permitted in our municipality, Delta).

Lots of plants attracted bees, but three plants in particular were MOBBED by bees, and to make things better all have long, long bloom periods:

1. Sweet Cicely (Myrrhus odorata) (nice as it blooms so early in the spring)

2. Bronze Fennel (Foeniculum vulgare)...and it looks fab in borders!

3. Joe Pye Weed (Eupatorium purpureum)...so striking as a specimen plant, blooms for weeks.
Old January 18th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Contributor (100-499 posts)

Re: 2011 "Most Attractive to Bees" plants!

Our fall asters and sedums were all abuzz too!
Old January 19th, 2012, 09:37 AM
UBC Botanical Garden and Centre for Plant Research

Have you tried borage? I have always noted that to be mobbed by bees when it's in bloom.
Old January 19th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Contributor (100-499 posts)

Lots of herbs are very good for attracting bees: oregano, lemon balm, mint, agastache--all of which produce lots of seed as a result of the pollinators' visits.
Old February 4th, 2012, 04:34 AM
Registered Plus (3-99 posts)

I bought eupatorium purpureum seeds on eBay and yesterday I put in containers to germinate.
Unfortunately there are no seeds heptacodium miconioides David involucrata Sonoma. Are honey and ornamental trees.
I bought seeds by david at Twining Vine Nursery vilmoriana involucrata (in Canada)
Old April 11th, 2012, 03:35 AM
Registered Plus (3-99 posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapylica View Post
I bought eupatorium purpureum seeds on eBay and yesterday I put in containers to germinate.
Unfortunately there are no seeds heptacodium miconioides David involucrata Sonoma. Are honey and ornamental trees.
I bought seeds by david at Twining Vine Nursery vilmoriana involucrata (in Canada)
I am very happy, Mrs. Sandra Hofer from Twining Vine ,was very nice and I got the seeds by david Sonoma. I made ​​3 months stratification at warm, then cold stratification follows in the fridge for 4 months.
Today I arrived in Poland heptacodium micoinoides a strong tree honey, flowers smell is very strong and pleasant!
I purchased wisteria floribunda (white, pink, purple) as honey