GM Giant Monsanto Quits Britain Amid Backlash

Discussion in 'Plants: In the News' started by anza, Feb 3, 2012.

1. anza

anza Active Member 10 Years

GM Giant Monsanto Quits Britain Amid Backlash

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-199884/GM-giant-quits-Britain-amid-backlash.html

---------------

I loved this quote:
    "Earlier this week it was revealed that the Government's own research had found that GM farming would pollute the countryside for generations."

Gee, do ya think ? I wonder why the USDA can't seem to come to the same scientific conclusion!!!

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Over here the money men are in control.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hadn't heard this, if it's true (far from a given, with the Daily Mail!), it's good news to hear.

GM crops aren't necessarily a bad thing, but GM as practiced by Monsanto - emphasizing the elimination of biodiversity from crops by the eradication of all other potentially competing organisms - is definitely bad.

4. anza

I believe you are correct Michael. The journal which published this apologized this morning for the old news. Interestingly, the original date was 2003, not 2012. But interestingly, I clicked on the Daily News website to the article and it did show 2012, but as of last night was corrected to 2003. Here is the journal's explanation:
    There does however seem to be a growing concern lately in your North America to have at least the labling on AG products to identify it is indeed a GMO product. I'm not really interested in the politics that appear to be infused into these issues. I'm more for educating the average public world citizen and going that route, but I understand the emtions run high on this.

Here's a bit of News from Hawaii from the Honolulu Weekly speaking on the subject of GMO Seed corn production done in Hawaii. I never knew that your county's state of Hawaii was the major producer of seed for farmers on the continent. I remember when Hawaii was thought of as nothing more than Pineapples and C&H Cane Sugar.

Boss GMO
    Filling the space left by pineapple and sugar, a new plantation economy--based on experimental seed corn--has taken root. But why take up precious acreage where we could be growing food?
    by TIffany Hervey | Jan 4, 2012

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

This reminds of the famous "Dewey Defeats Truman" newspaper headline.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

There does however seem to be a growing concern lately in your North America

Note that Michael F is posting from Britain.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2012
  7. anza

Of course you are correct. I often assume, though I've seen many from other lands here, that most are from Nord Amerika. (just a little Swedish lingo there).

BTW, here a bit of natural amusement to enjoy the day. This video is in Swedish, but it's about a farmer whose family bought a pet rabbit, which on it's own loves to herd sheep and does so very well, just like the border collie they have in the pic.

Svenska[Swedish]-kaninen[rabbit]-'champis'pet rabbit's name-vallar[shepherds]-får[sheep]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2012