UBC Botanical Garden Forums  

» UBC Botanical Garden

Go Back   UBC Botanical Garden Forums > Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest

Post New ThreadReply

Old August 11th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Registered Plus (3-99 posts)

mature viburnum emergency transplant still wilting after 2 weeks

Hello all,

I'm wondering if anyone has any support suggestions for a grand old lady of a Viburnum, about 50 years old. I'm not completely sure of the cultivar. We rescued her from a house due to be demolished the next day just two weeks ago, so the shrub is in full leaf, and really struggling.

The long, long tap roots had to be cut - this was done carefully - as they were reaching many feet away from the root ball (this was very small) though we live 4 blocks away and had a hole ready, resettling such a large plant must have been additionally hard on root fibers.

We've been watering, put Myke and bone meal in the compost rich earth we filled in with, and are very attentive to our Viburnum, but it is still quite wilted. Some leaves have turned orange and died, and all the spent flower heads are drooping.

I gave one dose of a 10-52-10 formula suggested by my garden buddy, and am wondering if there is anything else to do besides go out and say encouraging words. I know it's terrible timing, but the digger was already on site, so no choice but to try.
Old August 11th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Ardent Plant Enthusiast (10000+ posts)

Re: mature viburnum emergency transplant still wilting after 2 weeks

Put up a temporary shelter to shade the foliage and keep watering liberally. In any future planting of trees or shrubs do not put bone meal, compost rich earth or 10-52-10 in planting holes.

http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~linda%2...les/index.html
Old August 11th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Registered Plus (3-99 posts)

Re: mature viburnum emergency transplant still wilting after 2 weeks

Thank you Ron B. it's been awhile. I can't believe I got such poor advice from otherwise knowledgeable garden folk!

The link you shared has many resources - I was looking at it on my phone, and it was hard to discern where to start. Any recommendations?

As to the shade, will covering the plant with a large cloth do? I don't have any screens on hand and have nothing to rig one up with, either. The poor thing is exposed full west, so it really catches a lot of sun where it's not shaded by the Styrax japonicus.

Will implement this tomorrow. Again thank you - the Viburnum thanks you, too.

BB
Post New ThreadReply