UBC Botanical Garden Forums  

» UBC Botanical Garden

Go Back   UBC Botanical Garden Forums > Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest

Post New ThreadReply

Old July 28th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Registered Plus (3-99 posts)

Advice on what climbing vine to use

I have an arbor at the entrance of my strata building. It has a western exposure so is shaded by the building till mid-day. and then is shaded by a building across the road by late evening in summer. I would say it is full sun to part sun. Currently there are to plants on either side, but I plan on transplanting the Rhodo and removing the evergreen (see photo).

So may question is what would be a good choice be for a climbing vine in this location. I would like to get something that is non invasive and easy to control, preferably with multi season interest. Any suggestion.
Attached Thumbnails (click on thumbnail to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	front enterance 2.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	93870  
Old July 28th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Generous Contributor (500-999 posts)

Re: Advice on what climbing vine to use

A Gardener once told me - Why go to the expense of building an arbor for display of just one plant a year. He reccomended a couple of plants that bloom at diferent times of the year. Like maybe a climbing rose and a clematis. check a local garden center and see what's available in your area.
barb.
Old July 29th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Registered Plus (3-99 posts)

I do like the idea of using more that one variety of plant. From doing a little more reading I understand that the Clematis use the rose to climb up without the need for any other support. My concern with the roses would be black spot and mildew, plus the aphids. Are there bullet proof variates that will not have these problems?

Also if I did have multiple variates of Clematis flowering at different times of the year how hard would it be to keep things pruned? Or do they need any pruning at all? Is it just a matter of keeping them in check.
Old July 29th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Generous Contributor (500-999 posts)

Check with a local nursery or the UBC garden for the best disease resistant climbing rose for your area. To lessen powdery mildew keep the rose pruned to allow air flow to let it dry quicker after a rain. Aphids can't fly and a high powered hose-down on a sunny day will tale care of some/most of them. There are safe sprays to use, also, if your like me and don't like to use chemicals. ;))) barb
Post New ThreadReply