UBC Botanical Garden Forums  

» UBC Botanical Garden

Go Back   UBC Botanical Garden Forums > Archives (no new threads) > Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs

Post New ThreadReply

Old November 30th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Registered Plus (3-99 posts)

Gunnera seeds

Hi folks, mt Gunnera Tinctoria seeds are now dry enough to mail away. If anyone wants to start this enormous plant, drop me an a-mail. As well I still have an over abundant supply of Pacific Giant Delpheniums, 3 colours mixed, for free.

Enjoy the earth Dunc
Old December 3rd, 2009, 08:58 AM

Re: Gunnera seeds

Hey dunc
I've seen this plant growing in BC. It is crazy huge. I wonder if i could grow it indoors for the winter and outside in the summer.
maybe we could do a little trade?
Old December 4th, 2009, 07:45 AM

I should really warn you first, before you get into this huge plant, that it is really a big critter. I have moved pieces of it 3 times in some of my travels and each time it gets a new larger space. Once I used a hand saw to saw off a new terminal to transplant, it is big. Now its in a 8' circular bordered lawn area , has about 5 main nodes and takes over and is getting bigger. I plant nasturtiums, primula and poppys around the base in the spring and by summer, they are peeking out under the blanket of leaves.

It should be started inside and planted out in the spring. The seeds will likely need a month or two in the fridge and then a winter/spring planting will give you a first year plant to about 12" and by year 3, leafs as big as the hood of a full sized truck. It does need A LOT of water! Witer protection may be a problem for you. Mine do quite fine burried under their own fronds to about -10C but, I have not tryed colder.

Give me your address, through the forum system and I will mail out a bunch this week.

Think spring, Dunc
Old December 14th, 2009, 11:41 AM

Thanks Dunc for those seeds. Ill send you a little something of my seed collection.
Old December 14th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Contributor (100-499 posts)

Thanks for the seeds!!!
Old May 14th, 2010, 05:39 AM
mandyeeds
This message has been deleted by Daniel Mosquin. Reason: Original poster requested that those wanting seeds send him a PM (private message) through the forums.
Old December 25th, 2011, 06:56 AM
jmarsh307
This message has been deleted by Daniel Mosquin. Reason: Original poster requested that those wanting seeds send him a PM (private message) through the forums.
Post New ThreadReply