UBC Botanical Garden Forums  

» UBC Botanical Garden

Go Back   UBC Botanical Garden Forums > Archives (no new threads) > Woody Plants

Post New ThreadReply

Old December 10th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Registered (1-2 posts)

Trees with non-invasive roots

I think it's wise to worry about invasive roots. I live in a townhouse complex and we are having to spend thousands of dollars to cut down trees with roots that are destroying our driveways and sidewalks and eventually replant trees with non-invasive roots. I'm still in the research phase. If anyone has any ideas, PLEASE let us know.
Thanks!
Old December 12th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Generous Contributor (100+ posts)

Re: Shade trees with noninvasive root system

Shallow roots are usually the problem with driveways and sidewalks....In a litigation society, the trees are going to suffer.

Oaks typically have the deeper, less 'invasive' roots you desire. Contrary to popular belief, there are lots of fast growing oaks.
Old December 12th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Generous Contributor (100+ posts)

Re: Shade trees with noninvasive root system

May another option be tall perrenial grasses, such Arundo donax in a controlled plot?Cut back in the winter?
What about Aralia which is rampant in growth to 9-10 metres?(35 feet) tall.....
Old December 13th, 2009, 04:48 PM
UBC Botanical Garden and Centre for Plant Research

Re: Trees with non-invasive roots

(moved to its own thread)

Daniel Mosquin
Research Manager
UBC Botanical Garden | BC Flora | John Davidson
Old January 3rd, 2010, 09:50 AM
Contributor (30-99 posts + 20 days registered)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnielass View Post
I think it's wise to worry about invasive roots. I live in a townhouse complex and we are having to spend thousands of dollars to cut down trees with roots that are destroying our driveways and sidewalks and eventually replant trees with non-invasive roots. I'm still in the research phase. If anyone has any ideas, PLEASE let us know.
Thanks!
Stay away from some flowering cherry varieties. They don't always surface or shallow root, but are notorious in this area. I saw one two weeks ago with a root bigger than the trunk. Now I need to figure out where it was so I can go back for a photo.

As a general rule, it seems that the smaller the tree, the less invasive the roots.

I've seen few problems with vine maple, Japanese maple, Stewartia and other trees of that size.

I suppose you are probably keeping root barrier panels in mind for this fact gathering, because they expand the possibilities quite a bit.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:01 PM
Ardent Plant Enthusiast (10000+ posts)

The problem with Japanese flowering cherries is grafting them onto sweet cherry. It is not the Japanese flowering cherry that is producing the thick, superficial roots. Japanese flowering cherries raised from seed, grown from cuttings and probably grafted onto Gisela rootstock as well are not expected to present this problem.
Post New ThreadReply