UBC Botanical Garden Forums  

» UBC Botanical Garden

Go Back   UBC Botanical Garden Forums > Archives (no new threads) > Fagaceae (beeches, oaks, etc.)

Fagaceae (beeches, oaks, etc.) Beeches, oaks, stone oaks, chestnuts and other members of the beech family.

Post New ThreadReply

Old October 16th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Registered Plus (3-99 posts)

Shaping young Fagus sylvatica for the future

I need some advice as to how best to help, (staking and or pruning), young European Beach trees get off to a good start with respect to obtaining good form and shape in addition to avoiding any future branching problems that may ocure. In 2006 I purhcashed the following Fagus sylvatica graphs from Coenosium Garden’s: ‘ Interrputa Purpurea’, ‘Albovarriegata’, and ‘Purpurea Tricolor’. The plants are all strong. healthy and well branched with the exception of Albovarriegata (which is a shame but that’s a question for another time). My hope is that one day these trees will develop their full character and become specimens. Maybe the best thing is to do nothing; I don’t know that’s my problem.
Old October 16th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Plant Enthusiast (1000+ posts)

Re: Shaping young Fagus sylvatica for the future

Keep an eye out for very narrow forked trunks; these are liable to split when the tree is mature. if they occur, prune out one fork while it is still small, so as to keep a single main trunk.

That single exception apart, doing nothing works well.
Old October 19th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Registered Plus (3-99 posts)

Re: Shaping young Fagus sylvatica for the future

Thanks Micheal, I'll heed your advice.
Post New ThreadReply