UBC Botanical Garden Forums  

» UBC Botanical Garden

Go Back   UBC Botanical Garden Forums > Archives (no new threads) > Cornus (dogwoods)

Post New ThreadReply

Old August 13th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Registered Plus (3-99 posts)

"Flat" Redtwig Dogwood Isanti

I just purchased a Cornus Stolonifera 'Isanti' which was and has been well watered and no leaves are wilting. All of the trees were packed in tightly together and when I selected mine, I noted that all other specimens "flatened" out when standing alone.

The tree is about 3 feet tall and most branches are growing in a u-shaped pattern, or even parallel to the ground. I have tied string around branches to keep them upright.

Is this growing pattern normal, or should I expect to stake / tie branches to encourage upright growth? Or, is pruning how one develops an upright growth?

Thanks to anyone who can help.
Post New ThreadReply