Acer palmatum 'Phoenix'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by arnaut, May 30, 2007.

1. arnaut

arnaut Active Member

Acer palm. 'Phoenix'

Attached Files:

2. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I think it's a beautiful cultivar:

The new leaves are red in the spring, not as striking as a deshojo, but the change in colour is more interesting, and new shoots are also red throughout the summer.

1 & 2: 17 April
    3: 28 April
    4: 14 May

(NB: the first photo is not of the same tree, but that was the one that rendered best, though very imperfectly, the wonderful colours of this cultivar)

Attached Files:

3. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Thank you very much for posting. This is one I've never seen in person that I was very curious about.

4. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

A photo taken today.
    It's a bit blurred but it shows how attractive the contrast between the green of the mature leaves and the luminous red of the new shoots can be.

Attached Files:

5. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

The early spring colors of 'Phoenix' cannot be fully assessed with the pics posted. Here are two of mine in early March which, I hope, complete the vision. Fall color is red again. The plant is in full sun.

It is quite different plant from both 'Beni komachi' and 'Beni fushigi'

Gomero

Attached Files:

6. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

My 'Phoenix' is transitioning to summer color, but still looks very good. This photo was taken 5/14/2010.

Attached Files:

7. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Amazing difference in just four days.

Attached Files:

8. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

Here is the spring color for 2012.

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

This is my Phoenix today 23rd July 2020 after @AlainK mentioned he did not know this one. New growth and the older leaves in the background.
    A pretty cultivar !!

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

The new growth in July has now unfurled to some pretty leaves on August 5th 2020.

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

11th August 2020 still very hot and in fact yesterday was the hottest I've ever seen in my garden. Ground temperature hit 48° C by my trees.
    They are all now suffering. But I will continue the Summer diary as requested.
    New growth just spurting up on my Phoenix, not complaining but will this branch get through Winter !!!???

Attached Files:

12. Acerholic

14th August 2020, rain at last here in England and Oh how my Maples needed it. Just over two weeks until Autumn starts here in the UK and the colours are rapidly changing.
    Trying to take as many photos as possible to keep up to date with the requests.
    Little bit of damage, but nothing much at all. Very pleased with my Phoenix.

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

Almost looks like Spring and Autumn at the same time in my garden. So strange, but a nice strange if you get my meaning.
    Here is one with amazing new growth colours in my garden atm. 'Phoenix '. Photo 18th August 2020.

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

19th August 2020, lashings of rain for last 3 days, everything is picking up, so a good Autumn display is still on the cards.
    I have two Phoenix and both are behaving so differently this year. So here is no 2 this morning.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

I have two Phoenix maples and this one taken today 22nd August is in more sun, hence the little bit of scorch. But as can be seen, new growth appearing.

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

25th August 2020, the calm before storm Francis arrives. Phoenix no 1 and the new growth has now opened and brightening up a little corner of my garden. It is really loving this weather now.

Attached Files:

17. Acerholic

August 29th 2020 and Autumn colours are very fast approaching. It even feels like we are in October today rather than August. 7° C at the moment.
    Another that has coped well aftet the storm. No effects whatsoever!!

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

Well its the beginning of September 2020 and the dew is appearing on the leaves. Together with the fast changing colours, it's that time of year of joy in the maple garden.
    New and old leaves covered in dew and all giving delight in my garden this morning on my Phoenix.

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

September 3rd 2020 and Autumn is very quickly upon us now. But new growth!!? Yes there is !!
    Such a dark cloudy day today, that any colours are very welcome.
    What a difference just one day makes at this time of the year. Bright orange's today.

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

9th September 2020 and new growth springing up everywhere. It so warm and today at 0800hrs it was 18°C.
    The new leaves have changed very quickly. The shorter days, so less sunlight, have made quite a difference to my Phoenix.

Attached Files:

21. Acerholic

24th September 2020 and Autumn has really hit home quickly. Cold nights and lots of rain already. But raindrops on colourful leaves is why Autumn is a favorite for so many of us Maple enthusiasts.

Attached Files:

22. Acerholic

11th October 2020 and my Phoenix is in a sheltered area of my garden that had no early morning dew. But Oh how pretty the leaves were.

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

2nd November 2029 amongst all the debris from the battering winds a glow appears to make me smile. My Phoenix did just that today.

Attached Files:

24. Acerholic

9th November 2020 and there is a time between my Phoenix with it's leaves turning brown and dropping that it looks it's best for colours IMO. Today is that day..

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

13th November 2020 and its goodbye from my Phoenix until next Spring, but before it goes to sleep, one last photo of deep orange.

Attached Files: