Richmond

Discussion in 'VCBF Neighbourhood Blogs' started by wcutler, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Dingren

Dingren Active Member VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

On the intersection of Garrison Court and Garrison Road (near No, 2 Road), we saw four large white flowering Prunus Avium cherries all standing on private land. They are beautiful to behold. The one that has the most flowers on it also has a large witches' broom.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  2. Dingren

Another large Prunus Avium cherries in River Road.
    Actually, this "large tree" on the River Road is a cluster of three. And just around the corner on No. 1 road is another pretty large one. However, the color of the new leaves and the shape of flower clusters are somewhat different.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  3. Dingren

Takasago in Richmond!
    On Westminster Highway between Elmbridge and Gilbert, on the left handside (facing east) (6951 Westminster, to be exact), stands a lone cherry tree bearing pink blobs of flowers. We decided to learn from Mariko's helpful example of counting petals and other petal-like elements and put all in display. So, here we are, a flower and its parts.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I think this and the next posting both show Prunus Avium cherries, with their curled-back sepals.

5. Dingren

Kanzans are in full bloom in various spots in Richmond.
    Here are some perhaps worthy locations:
    • Costco parking lot
    • Garden City Park
    • St. Alban road
    • General Currie Road
    • Gilbert and Blundell

Attached Files:

6. Dingren

Beautiful Shirofugen blooming exuberantly on the intersection of Gilbert and Elmbridge. On each side of the street, about ten trees are showing off their pinkish white grandiose.

Attached Files:

7. wcutler

The Dorchester Circle Shogetsu and Shirofugens (links are to the earlier postings) are both in full bloom now - so handy to compare the two cultivars. They look totally different now. The Shogetsu is the white one in front.
    20090510_Moffat_ShSh_Cutler_4719.jpg

Down on Moncton Rd at Second St in Steveston, there are two small nice Pink Perfections and one looking not too healthy. I had just told Mariko two days ago that I didn't think I could distinguish very young Kanzans from Pink Perfections this late, when the Kanzan leaves are green and the flowers are so faded, but I was pretty excited to realize that it was obvious to me driving by that these were not Kanzans.
    20090510_MonctonSecond_PP_Cutler_4726.jpg 20090510_MonctonSecond_PP_Cutler_4738.jpg

8. Dingren

Autumnalis Rosea has opened up in Richmond

First posting 2010

Autumnalis and autumnalis Rosea have opened nicely on 7151 Moffatt Road, Richmond, in the front of the con-do community of Venturi Park, right across the street from the back of Richmond High. There are 12 trees along the street, and a few more inside the private property.(ps: I was trying to upload the full size photos, but system won't work)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2010
  9. Dingren

We saw these beautiful autumnalis inside the court of 7151 Moffatt Road. Some of the flowers are much "rosier" than others. Are the red ones "Autumnalis Rosea"? Or are they all?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  10. wcutler

The trees in photos 3, 4 and 5 have just a few blossoms out, right? Nothing like the number of blossoms on the other trees? They look like Whitcombs to me (deep pink, single (5-petalled) blossoms). There's one small branch out on a West End Haro St Whitcomb and some stray blossoms on some other Whitcomb trees.

Photos 1 and 2 look like Autumnalis Rosea. In your other posting, the pink buds lead me to say they're also Autumnalis Rosea. I just saw the Autumnalis trees in Kerrisdale and the buds and the open blossoms were entirely white, except for the old blossoms gone red. From a distance, the impression is white, whereas the Autumnalis Rosea trees on Pacific in the West End give a definite impression of pink. This year they're looking good enough to see the colour from a distance.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  11. Dingren

We went back to the red flowers and took a closer look. You are right, the flowers remain sparse while other autumnalis trees are in full bloom. We also see difference in the way the minor branches stem out from the major branches (photo 3). And the buds are spaced differently. These red blossoms are single flowers.

By the way, we noticed the branch which bears the few flowers is right above a pad-mounted transformer. Does it have anything to do with the early blooming of the flowers? Electro-magnetic wave, heat, etc.?

Attached Files:

12. wcutler

Why should I let knowing nothing about this stop me from commenting? I think if you know where to find other Whitcombs, you'd find they have a few open blossoms as well (in Richmond, anyway). All the Whitcomb trees in the west end have a few blossoms (or at least one <grin>). The one with the most is closest to downtown, so maybe warmest? But the branches with the blossoms are hanging over the street, not nearest the presumably warmer building. The only Accolade with some blossoms is at the Aquatic Centre and I wondered if the ground was somehow warmer from the pool. But the Whitcomb right there doesn't have more flowers than others (in other years it did have the earliest Whitcomb blossoms, but it lost half of its branches in last year's storm).

They're fine posted where they are.

13. wcutler

Re: Autumnalis Rosea has opened up in Richmond

Douglas Justice and I wonder whether there might be both cultivars here. When you go back, pay particular attention to the colour of the buds. See whether all the trees seem to be the same colour, or if some trees look more white, with mostly white buds.

14. Dingren

[FONT=&quot]On [/FONT][FONT=&quot]No.3 Road, near [/FONT][FONT=&quot]the intersection of Blundell Road and on the Chevron side of gas station, there are three tall Autumnalis Rosea. They are just beginning to bloom. They indeed have twiggy, untidy branches.[/FONT]

Attached Files:

15. Dingren

[FONT=&quot]There are four large autumnalis in the backyard of 7400 Gilbert Road.[/FONT]

Attached Files:

16. Dingren

[FONT=&quot]With this week’s warmer than normal weather, the autumnalis are really coming out. These are the same bunch of trees on 7151 Moffatt Road, only a few days later. The flowers are clearly pink; they look pale when standing against the brownish wall.[/FONT]

Attached Files:

17. Anne Eng

Anne Eng Generous Contributor 10 Years

Red, white and pink: a row of Whitcombs, on the northwest corner of Alexandra and Hazelbridge, in full bloom with Canadian flag colours near the Richmond Olympic games venues, February 15, 2010.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  18. nmelzer

nmelzer Member

There are two mature trees which Wendy IDed as Accolade for me. They are just a block south of Ikea on Sweden Way where it dead-ends into Bathgate Way. This photo is a little late getting posted, I took it March 2nd.

My first contribution as a newly-fledged Cherry Scout!

Attached Files:

19. Dingren

Autumnalis are in full bloom in Richmond area, three at the cross-section of No. 3 and Blundell Ave. where the Chevron gas station is located. There are 7 trees on the property of 7400 Gilbert Road (Devon Estate). 12 blooming trees along 7151 Moffatt Road (Vanturi Park), 5 more inside the courtyard.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  20. Dingren

It's nice and sunny today and we found first Whitcomb blooming in our Dorchester Circle(the first driveway on the left). Two more Whitcomb tree are found inside Venturi Park court (7151 Moffatt road) with lot of red buds and just one flower showing(SANY6349).

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  21. wcutler

Hey, you're back Dingren and Martin! Nice to see those photos.

We're going to have blooming dates on our new map, due out soon. I just want to check - I shouldn't consider those 'Whitcomb' to be "in bloom" yet, is that right?

22. Dingren

23. Dingren

Whitcomb has reached its peak and in full blossoms in Richmond at the intersection of Hazelbridge Way and Alexandra Road. Hurry to take a look! There are eight fully grown trees!

Dingren & Martin

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  24. Dingren

The first of Shosar is opening up at one of the five trees at 5560 Minoru Blvd, near Paramount Furniture Store. In a week or so it should be in full bloom.

Dingren & Martin

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  25. Dingren

In Richmond Minoru Park, the one and only Accolade is beginning to show its color. Just beginning, but should come out within a week if the weather keeps warm.

Dingren & Martin

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2011