Shaughnessy

Discussion in 'VCBF Neighbourhood Blogs' started by wcutler, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

More about 'Jo-nioi':

Jacobson 1996:

Tree strong, can grow 36' tall and wide. Buds slender, pinkish. Flowers deliciously fragrant, single or nearly so, pure white, 1 1/2" wide, in short-stalked clusters of 3-5; purple-brown sepals. Comparatively worthless except for fragrance. Young foliage bronzy-green.

Kuitert 1999:

The flowers are not very large but are so abundant that the crown of a tree in bloom looks like a huge, misty cloud of flowers. The stout corymbs are rather long and carry four to six flowers. Striking is the bright green of the young foliage...

Color of the young foliage light green with a slight bronze hue. Serration single with a few red glands at the base

2. Anne Eng

Anne Eng Generous Contributor 10 Years

Under Ichiyo's arm at VanDusen Gardens, May 6, 2008.

Attached Files:

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Re: Shaughnessy - Jo-nioi?

I think what Anne posted from VanDusen Garden, that's labeled Jo-nioi, looks like what I've renamed Taki-nioi in the Cultivars ID thread, with its dark bronze leaves. And I couldn't find that tree, even though the Rhody walk is the only place I don't feel lost in that garden. But on the Rhody walk I did find this tree, labeled Takasago(!) that I think could be Jo-nioi. It's very fragrant, and has the big stars from the front, and hardly any leaves, but what leaves I did see were green. [Edited by wcutler 2011jun06: VanDusen has changed the label to 'Jo-nioi']

20080508_VanDusen_JoNioi_Cutler_5980r.jpg 20080508_VanDusen_JoNioi_Cutler_5988cr.jpg 20080508_VanDusen_JoNioi_Cutler_5986cr.jpg 20080508_VanDusen_JoNioiNotTakasago_Cutler_5988cr.jpg

Douglas, will you tell them about the sign?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  4. wcutler

Re: Shaughnessy - VanDusen Serrula

It's my week for finding Serrulas in parks - I came across this unmarked Paperbark cherry in VanDusen. The bark is as unremarkable as on the one I found in Stanley Park.
    20080508_VanDusen_Serrula_Cutler_5970r.jpg 20080508_VanDusen_Serrula_Cutler_5971r.jpg 20080508_VanDusen_Serrula_Cutler_5979r.jpg

[Edited by wcutler: I've redone the instructions for finding the tree]
    Hah! I thought I was lost yesterday! Today, with a map and the help of three people, it still took me an hour to find the tree, and then some more time to decide where to put it on the map. My two guesses are pretty close to each other, so I'm leaving it at that. The instructions are the longest possible way around, but pretty clear: go almost past the Stone Garden to the top of the waterfall, walk down the stone steps with the waterfall on your left, and the Serrula will be across the path when you get to the bottom of the steps. I swear the location looks nothing like anything on that map.
    20080509_VanDusen_Serrula2map_Cutler.gif

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  5. Anne Eng

Wendy, the Jo-nioi was in the Rhododendron area near the beginning of the Rhodo Walk, between the witch hazels and the hydrangeas. Along with the Somei Yoshino and the cultivar labelled Okame, the three of them were in bloom on April 18, so I don't know if there are still blossoms. The Jo-nioi was towards the back, away from the paved path; you actually had to go into the planting area (and hope no one sees you crushing the undergrowth; plant hunters are notoriously without conscience sometimes) to see the identifying plaque placed at the foot of the large trunk. At that time, VanDusen had a public leaflet out, Flowering Cherry Trees, Map & Trees.

The Map also indicates a part of the Sino-Himalayan Garden, bordering the Great Lawn, planted with the Wild Cherry; here you can find the Korean Hill Cherry and the Tibetan Birchbark Cherry. This is the area for the Serrulas.

The Map exists no more, except with certain guides who had the foresight to pick up extra copies.

6. Anne Eng

Regarding cherry tree mislabelling at VanDusen: on Oak Street, at the staff parking entrance just north of 37th Avenue, a tree is wearing a tag that says Sargent's Cherry. It looks like a Kanzan in bloom.

7. wcutler

Anne is talking about the one labeled Jo-nioi, which in the photo looks (to me) like the Nitobe one, except that the VanDusen one has smaller stars in the centre. The Nitobe one had not started to open at all on April 25, but the one in VanDusen labeled Takasago, that I'm calling Jo-nioi, is at about the same stage of blooming as the Nitobe that I'm calling Taki-nioi.

The only reason I wouldn't be confusing the VanDusen not-a-Takasago with Wash-i-no-o (which I've only seen in a photo) is that the blooming time is wrong, but I can't distinguish the blossoms of the two cultivars. Can the VanDusen one labeled Jo-nioi that was in bloom April 18 be Jo-nioi at that blooming time?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  8. Ron B

Assuming two trees are same cultivar different blooming times would just be due to differences in site conditions, including climates in different neighborhoods and amount of sun exposure in planting sites.

Fine anatomical details often have to be studied to differentiate closely similar cultivars, of which there are many.

They have been grown in North America since 1862 when G.R. Hall brought 15 double-flowered cultivars from Japan. In 1903, the U.S. Bureau of Plant Industry received 30 cultivars, in 1904 an additonal 50 arrived from the Yokohama nursery; in 1906 D. Fairchild brought 25. By 1933 at least 45 cultivars were in the U.S., and Paul Russel treated 40 of them fully in his book Oriental Flowering Cherries. The present volume treats 75.

--Jacobson, North American Landscape Trees (1996, Ten Speed Press, Berkeley)

9. wcutler

Maybe next year we'll be in time to see the fine anatomical details. At least I did a little better today, now that Anne has given me permission to trample the groundcovers to get close enough to photograph the trees and read the labels, not that VanDusen labels are all that helpful. Here's what they were showing in the entranceway! None of our scouts would do that. Isn't that a vexillate filament on the flower on the right? It's still a Kanzan though.
    20080509_VanDusen_UkonKanzan_Cutler_6000r.jpg

Douglas mentioned (in the Takasago thread - oh, now I get it - is that because the Jo-nioi at VanDusen is labeled Takasago that, Douglas and Ron, you're discussing Korean Hill cherries in the Takasago Cultivar IDs thread?! I hope this comment is soon irrelevant and we move that part of that thread). Anyway, Douglas mentioned a Korean Hill cherry "overgrown by an out-of-control shrubbery and between a horribly disfigured 'Jo-nioi' and a beautiful Japanese hill cherry (P. speciosa var. spontanea)". Hmm. I found the trees Anne mentioned practically next to the one I'm calling Taki-nioi. I was so pleased I'd noticed the Serrula but managed to miss three quite large trees, one still with a lot of purple colour right at the pathway. So here are the four trees, from east to west.

Jo-nioi, labeled Takasago. I have photos of this in yesterday's post, but I got closer today. [Edited by wcutler 2011jun06: VanDusen has changed the label to 'Jo-nioi']

20080509_VanDusen_JoNioi_Cutler_6005r.jpg 20080509_VanDusen_JoNioi_Cutler_6072r.jpg 20080509_VanDusen_JoNioi_Cutler_6055r.jpg 20080509_VanDusen_JoNioi_Cutler_6058r.jpg
    20080509_VanDusen_JoNioi_Cutler_6063r.jpg 20080509_VanDusen_JoNioi_Cutler_6067r.jpg 20080509_VanDusen_JoNioi_Cutler_6084r.jpg 20080509_VanDusen_JoNioi_Cutler_6085r.jpg

Next along is the first in the group of three, labeled Somei-yoshino. I don't know any Somei-yoshino that still have this much colour, but other than that, the characteristics seem to match the description. Douglas, is the what you were calling Japanese hill cherry, or were you mis-remembering what was where?
    20080509_VanDusen_SomeiYoshino_Cutler_6022r.jpg 20080509_VanDusen_SomeiYoshino_Cutler_6049r.jpg 20080509_VanDusen_SomeiYoshino_Cutler_6030r.jpg 20080509_VanDusen_SomeiYoshino_Cutler_6031r.jpg

Next is the one labeled Okame, that Douglas thinks is Korean Hill cherry. His photos are better than mine, but they're miles away (in a Takasago thread), so here are a few from what's left of the flowers.
    20080509_VanDusen_SaysOkame_Cutler_6037r.jpg 20080509_VanDusen_SaysOkame_Cutler_6038r.jpg 20080509_VanDusen_SaysOkame_Cutler_6044r.jpg

Finally is the one that says Jo-nioi that Anne posted on April 18. I don't see how this can be Jo-nioi, with a Jo-nioi in full bloom 20 feet away, but then that's just my ID of the other tree.
    20080509_VanDusen_JoNioiApril_Cutler_6010r.jpg 20080509_VanDusen_JoNioiApril_Cutler_6013r.jpg 20080509_VanDusen_JoNioiApril_Cutler_6019r.jpg

10. wcutler

Accolades - Shaughnessy, Angus Dr. & Alexandra St. in Angus Park

Accolades in Angus Park at Angus Dr and Alexandra St should be starting to show some blossoms soon. The map location might not be accurate - could whoever posts these please give details about the exact location in the park?
    06-AccoladeAngusPk.gif

11. eteinindia

eteinindia Well-Known Member VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Re: Accolades - Shaughnessy, Angus Dr. & Alexandra St. in Angus Park

Yesterday (March 31) I drove there. At first I lost because roads are so irregular, and searched around the cherry which started blooming. But I found only 1 Accolade in the park. It has just started to bloom. It locates just a bit north of Alexandra St.
    There are other cherry trees in the park and around. But non of them are Accolade or Whitcomb.

Attached Files:

12. jamor

jamor Member VCBF Cherry Scout

This tree seems rather behind other Accolades around the city.

Attached Files:

13. Dingren

Dingren Active Member VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Re: Scout Favourites

We went to VanDusen Botanical Garden on April 14, 2009. Pendula is the most prominently displayed. We also saw white hybrid weeping cherry and one blooming Yoshino and an "Okame" (as the little plaque under the plant says). We have a question of this "Okame" as it is white in color, not the kind of pink pink as shown in DJ's handbook. The shapes of the flowers are different, too. So, is it an "Okame"?

Martin has made a slide video out of the flowers we photographed. Feel free to take a look!

Attached Files:

14. wcutler

Nice photos, Dingren. A lot of the cherry tree labels at VanDusen are wrong, and that's one of them. Maybe we need to come up with a translation list - when they say x, it means y. I don't what that one is, though.

15. wcutler

Amazingly, this tree isn't past its prime at all - pretty outrageous for a cultivar that usually blooms in February, but not in Shaughnessy.

Attached Files:

16. wcutler

Re: Scout Favourites

OK, I'm going to say I think it's Oshima Cherry. Douglas posted photos of what I'm guessing is the same tree as an aside in another thread. "Okame" / "Oshima", maybe easy to mix up. [Edited by wcutler 2011jun06: VanDusen has changed the label to 'Umineko', as advised by Douglas Justice].

17. Dingren

We saw the same Tibetan Cherry in VanDusen which Wendy photographed last year. The tree didn't look much different, even the wear and tear on the bark seems identical. But we are lucky enough to catch a glimpse of a few flowers and buds.

Attached Files:

18. Dingren

If you really want to see a cherry, even a berry can be read into a cherry! We saw this Hybrid Service "Cherry" 'Robin Hill' (Amelanchier x grandiflora) in VanDusen. Thanks to Wendy's reminder, we went back and verified our mistake. It is Service Berry.

Dingren & Martin :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  19. wcutler

I thought (hoped) VanDusen only got cherries labelled wrong. A common name for Amelanchier is "serviceberry". There's not a single reference in google for "service cherry". Amelanchier is a member of the rose family, as is prunus. Douglas showed us one on the walk last Sunday. Robin Hill either developed the cultivar or was honored by having it named after him/her or it's some place. OK, no more Amelanchier queries in the cherry forums<grin>. I don't know what the word "serviceberry" means.
    [edited by wcutler 20100313: Ron B's answer to the 'Robin Hill' query is in posting #51].

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  20. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Re: Serrula & others - Shaughnessy, VanDusen Botanical Garden

The fragrance is intoxicating on a warm afternoon!

21. Ron B

Re: Serrula & others - Shaughnessy, VanDusen Botanical Garden

Hadn't noticed the flowers of this tree being fragrant before. Now I'll have to check them out.

22. Anne Eng

The Pendulas, Pendula Rosea and the white variety, Snofozam, are blooming in the David Lam Cherry Grove at VanDusen March 4, 2010.

Attached Files:

23. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

Thanks for the pics and info.

24. Joseph Lin

Joseph Lin Active Member 10 Years

More photos of Pendula and Snow Fountain for your appreciation at David Lam Cherry Grove in VanDusen Garden on March 2

Attached Files:

25. wcutler

This 'Accolade' in Angus Park at Alexandra (it's really the centre boulevard on Angus Dr) is not at all past bloom now. This is the coldest area in the city - did you see the photos of cherries in the *snow* at QE Park in the Riley Park blog? That's a little over a mile away from here and the elevation is just a bit higher. I didn't even know there was snow yesterday. This is on our list of Hanami (picnic) locations, for some hardy souls.
    20100311_AngusPk_Accolade_Cutler_DSC05442.jpg 20100311_AngusPk_Accolade_Cutler_DSC05443.jpg

This street of 'Accolade' on Marguerite south of King Edward has been a festival favourite, and these trees are also still in bloom. There aren't so many of these trees now - I'm guessing there used to be more. Now there are only five or six from King Ed (25th) to 33rd.
    20100311_MargueriteNanton_Accolade_Cutler_DSC05449.jpg