winterizing an Australian Tree Fern in coastal BC

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by doodah, Dec 1, 2008.

1. doodah

doodah Member

Can an Australian Tree Fern be kept outside in the Pacific Northwest (BC) if it is covered and kept dry similar to banana plants?

I have always brought the plant inside in the past as it was in a pot, but this year it's in the ground.... it's December 1 and it is still there and growing....

2. bertoli55

bertoli55 Active Member 10 Years

Hi, do you know what type of tree fern it is? Tree ferns here are from a wide variety of growing conditions from tropical to cold - zones 13 to 7.
    Could your tree fern be a Dicksonia or Cyathea?
    ciao bertoli

3. doodah

doodah Member

It is a Cyathea Cooperi.....

4. bertoli55

bertoli55 Active Member 10 Years

Cyathea cooperi grows naturally in the sub tropical lowlands of the east coast of Australia:
    http://www.anbg.gov.au/gnp/interns-2003/cyathea-spp.html
    I live on the west coast and have been growing them for years. In Perth the summers are hot and dry and sometimes these ferns struggle because of the heat - up to 45C and water restrictions.
    These ferns are pretty tough and seem to acclimatise quite well if they get reasonable care. I know nothing about growing plants in cold climates (didn't see snow until i was 30 and that was in Italy :) ) but would try to grow the fern outside. You may need to protect it from really harsh weather with a covering of some sort.
    They seem to bounce back quite well from extremes in hot weather so it is worth a try with cold weather
    ciao bertoli

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Sunset Western Garden Book (2007, Sunset Publishing, Menlo Park) says this one is the

Fastest growing of the fairly hardy tree ferns (to 20F/-7C, but with damage to fronds)....Reasonably certain to survive in sheltered places along coast and in warm coastal valleys of California

6. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Hey,
    Here's another thread exact similar issue http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=46820 (I'll add a link from here in it to try help).
    My biggest problem here is the heat but I have grown these in frost temperatures in shade houses with little problem. By frost I mean just under 0C, 32F minimums and 20C, 68F maximum (NO SNOW) for maybe 6to 8 weeks of the year. They were grown in large shade houses and given short early morning waterings to remove frost off the leaves (keep in mind the days temp would get to high enough that the water wouldn't refreeze).
    I think that if you were to cover the plant but allowed air to circulate it should do alright even if you were to build a small tent around it. Definitely don't allow the crown to frost up as Cyathea will not reshoot once the crown has died. I worked in a wholesale Palm nursery where delicate seedlings were put into a small, plastic shade house, with heater on through the coldest of winter (great fire hazzard but we won't go into health and safety at nurseies right now).

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008