How wide should I make my flower bed?

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by lily, Jan 17, 2010.

1. lily

lily Active Member 10 Years

I want to plant some climbing roses and clematis to grow up my trellis fence in my small backyard. I need to know how wide to make the bed for my plants so they'll have room to grow. Today, I just dug 20" out from the trellis. Should it be any wider? Any ideas please? Thank you.

2. englak

englak Active Member 10 Years

The size of the bed depends on the plants you plan to put there. Pick a climbing rose, see what it's spread is and size your bed accordingly. That said, 3' is a typical minimum bed width.

Clematis and roses - lovely!

3. lily

lily Active Member 10 Years

englak ~ thankyou very much. That really helps. Yes, I think the clematis and roses will look pretty there. Although today my neighbor told me my trellis/fence wasn't high enough for clematis. It is only 5'-6' tall. Is that too short for clematis? Thanks again for helping me.

4. englak

englak Active Member 10 Years

You're welcome, Lily. There are many varieties of clematis available, if you your trellis to be 5-6' tall, pick a clematis that only gets that tall. The tags on the nursery pots will give you eventual size of the plant, or check with a good plant book.

5. 2annbrow

2annbrow Active Member

North Bend OR US;Oregon coast, just N of Coos Bay
    Hi Lily!
    One thing to watch out for with clematis is that they like their "feet" in the shade and their heads (the vines) in the sun. Mine never did bloom until I planted a small shrub where it would shade the base of the plant. Now it blooms eight months of the year.
    Also, try to keep the depth of the bed from front to back no deeper than you can reach from the edge. They don't mind being underplanted with pansies, etc., but mine didn't like their roots being pressed down by walking over the ground on top of them.
    As far as height, they also look very pretty cascading down from the top of the trellis, and keeping them trimmed back a little won't hurt. I prune away at mine all the time, and have been told that's why it blooms so much - but who knows?