Pompus Grass

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by DIANAparkison, Jan 13, 2009.

1. DIANAparkison

DIANAparkison Member

the 12 inches of snow we just had "broke down" my pompus grass What should I do?

2. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

You are not alone, we had 40 cm of the stuff layered to end in Port Moody, BC. if the freezing wind burned the plant, it still could survive...

You can fluff up the swords, wearing protective gloves, and put a cage around it in the event of more snow... in the spring cut back only the dead swords.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If still alive and sprouting new leaves in spring shear off spent leaves and flower stalks then. Some forms of this plant are apparently not very hardy and may freeze out completely (die) some winters in some parts of western WA.

4. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

In some parts of the world they breed like rabbits. I think we need some snow down here to eradicate a few of the noxious weeds Pampas grass included. I would be very suprised if it did not survive. Fire certainly will not kill it.

Liz

5. K Baron

Well, having ventured through many parts of Oz, I see your point, however, in Canada, Cortaderia is still somewhat a novelty, until the kids come into the house crying from cuts!

6. Ron B

I've had 'Pumila' freeze and die on Camano Island. I remember seeing other plantings of Pampas grass in the area appear to have been killed by the 1990 winter.

Recently spontaneous seedlings have been establishing along highways and waterways in the
    Seattle area. If these are able to become more numerous and persisting in future we could be in for a problem. I have seen clumps growing right in stream beds at more than one location.

7. K Baron

Cordateria is not likely to establish along most BC roadways (Gulf Islands and Victoria excluded) and vales as it apparently has further south... until then wait for the onslaught of global warming...

8. Ron B

Why? Too cold? Never used to see it wild here either. In recent years numbers of them have appeared.

9. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

No, fire makes it stronger. I'm amazed it's native to my neck of the woods and not yours, with that characteristic.

Diana, your Pampas grass will most likely survive if you can carefully (with gloves on) straighten the blades, then cage the grass to protect it.

10. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

No Lorax it's another of those imports that likes our dry sunny weather. Was fashionable in the 60-70's. Now it has just gone for a wander in some areas. We are into native grasses in a big way now and some of them are realy nice. Used a lot on freeway plantings

Liz