Acer palmatum 'Beni tsukasa'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mendocinomaples, Apr 7, 2005.

1. mendocinomaples

mendocinomaples Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

This is a spring photo. Beni tsukasa is a beautiful small tree which emerges orange-pink in the spring and turns to a nice light green for the summer.

Attached Files:

2. Mapler

Mapler Member

Re: A. palmatum Beni tsukasa

Your photo confirms the reason 'Beni tsukasa' is one of favorites!!!

3. mendocinomaples

mendocinomaples Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

A. palmatum Beni tsukasa in shade and sun

Beautiful variation in the foliage of this plant depending on solar exposure!

Attached Files:

4. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Fall color photo: 11/10/05

A plant with great spring and fall color as well as great transitions in between. A real winner. To go with the geat color my plant as also shown great vigor and strength. What a combination. The only risk for this variety seems to be spring frost.

Attached Files:

5. jhayes5032

jhayes5032 Active Member

My beni tsukasa is in the shade and so far has done nothing special in the spring like it's supposed to. It has, however shown some very interesting fall color

Attached Files:

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Tsukasa isn't Mikasa, afterall?

PNWmaplemaker87 likes this.
  7. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

This is a gorgeous spring tree, but I only wish it would hold its color longer. This photo was taken April 6, 2007.

Attached Files:

8. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I love the spring colours of Beni Tsukasa, two pictures taken yesterday:
    P1010166Beni Tsukasa.JPG P1010183Beni Tsukasa.JPG
    With plenty of afternoon sun my tree has pink colouration well into June, albeit somewhat bleached out:
    Beni Tsukasa.JPG

9. maf

A couple of more pictures taken the day after the first two in my previous post (14 April 2009), under better lighting conditions, the emerging leaves are something special:
    Beni Tsukasa3.JPG P1010186Beni Tsukasa.jpg
    The top leaves of the plant are now suffering from sunburn, not really worth posting any pictures of that. The tree gets morning shade followed by direct sun all afternoon, and it has been sunny nearly every afternoon for the last four weeks with plenty of wind and no rain. :-(

10. maf

I just remembered I saw a magnificent Beni Tsukasa at Westonbirt Arboretum at the end of April. It was over 25 years old (planted in 1983) with a graceful upright style of growth:
    Beni Tsukasa wb1.jpg Beni Tsukasa wb2.jpg Beni Tsukasa wb3.jpg

[Edit] I just noticed that the pictures I posted above of 'Beni Tsukasa' at Westonbirt are of the same tree pictured on page 109 of 'Maples for Gardens' by the van Gelderens, published in 1999. If you have access to the book it is interesting to compare the pictures and see how it has grown in the eleven or more years since the original photo was taken. The third picture is taken from almost exactly the same angle as the one in the book.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
    PNWmaplemaker87 likes this.
  11. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

As has been mentioned earlier, the spring colors on Beni Tsukasa are wonderful. This photo was taken April 17, 2009 and I hope captures some of the spring hues. My only problem with this lovely tree is that it doesn't hold its color very long in my garden. Of course, I might have it in the wrong location, so perhaps I'll have to experiment with that.

Attached Files:

12. maf

Yes, the trick to making it hold its colour longer seems to be to give the plant more sun. Of course it is very easy to overdo it and then you just make toast...... like I've done to my Beni Tsukasa this year. It is flanked either side at present by Shindeshojo and Katsura (all in containers) neither of which have burnt, if that gives an indication of how much sun it can't take. The top is significantly more burnt than the area in the first photo, but you can see from the second that those areas which escaped have retained good colour up till now (May 12). I should note that the weather here has been sunnier and drier than the norm for this time of year. (Katsura in background for comparison)
    Beni Tsukasa4.jpg Beni Tsukasa5.jpg

13. vinc la pergola

vinc la pergola Member

acer beni stukasa in my garden a really magnificent plant in the spring

Attached Files:

14. maf

Here are some pictures to try and show the changing colours of 'Beni tsukasa' between early spring and approaching Midsummer. It is most noted for its spring colour but the variegated (Sunago-fu?) summer foliage is beautiful too. I would describe the colour sequence as peach to pink to light green dusted with lighter dots. Of course that is a great simplification and in reality it is constantly changing, often with the different stages blending together and visible at the same time.

1, April 15th; 2, April 27th; 3, June 3rd:
    Beni Tsukasa buds opening.jpg Beni tsukasa6.jpg Beni tsukasa7.jpg

(all June 15th) 4, general view of different tones; 5, lower leaves in full shade; 6, secondary shoots starting the cycle again (some shoots were burnt by late frost in May):
    Beni tsukasa8.jpg Beni tsukasa9.jpg Beni tsukasa10.jpg

Hopefully more to follow later in the year.

15. DelsJapaneseMaples

DelsJapaneseMaples Member

Hope these photo's came through?

Attached Files:

16. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

this has a nice soft pinkish white color

Attached Files:

17. danc

danc Active Member 10 Years

18. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

danc, congratulations! Air layering is, I think, a fun way to create a new clone ... I just wish it worked EVERY time for me.

19. danc

danc Active Member 10 Years

Thanks, right, it's great to be able to make a branch you would prune turn into a new clone plant. So far I have had success (rooted, surviving the winter is another story) with: metasequoia glybtostroboides, acer negundo flamingo, catalpa, cryptomeria *** bandai-sugi, ulmus carpinifolia wredei, malus (crab apple) john downie.

20. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hwere are some of the fall colors for 2011

Attached Files:

21. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Summer foliage is variegated. There is quite a lot of pink too, although it doesn't come through much in these pictures.

Attached Files:

22. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

They call it fu or sand sprinkle. We had a wet, cool, cloudy Spring and my tree had more fu than ever. Usually it's just the inner and lower leaves.

23. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I've just received my Acer palmatum 'Beni tsukasa'. Very pleased with the Summer colours, as some have already mentioned on this thread. I will post more here as it matures over the coming years.

Attached Files:

Nik likes this.
  24. Acerholic

OK, a few weeks on from my first posting on Beni tsukasa and all is going well. It did well through the mini heatwave and today 14th July 2020 I have new growth. It is being protected atm from any afternoon sun, but besides that it is showing to be a strong grower.

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

We are nearly into August and my Beni tsukasa is performing so well.
    Photos 30th July 2020.

Attached Files: