fruit flies on indoor citrus

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by sue232, Oct 27, 2009.

1. sue232

sue232 Member

I'm new to growing citrus in containers, I have a key lime tree and a Meyer Lemon.
    They both have fruit flies. What is the best thing to do to get rid of them?

2. aesir22

aesir22 Active Member

How big are they? Are you sure they aren't fungus gnats?

3. sue232

sue232 Member

No, I'm not sure. I never heard of a fungus gnat. They are small, like a fruit fly.

4. Vancouver Island

Vancouver Island Active Member

When I bring fruit in from the garden, fruit fly are often a problem. I use a jar designed to catch wasp to catch the fruit fly (available at garden centres and hardware stores). Put a banana peel in the jar with a little water. After a day or two I flush hot water into the entry holes of the jar to kill the fly. Works like a charm. Rinse the jar and put a fresh peel in. I find banana really draws them.

I too have a Meyer lemon and just purchased a kimquat. The lemon has just started to bloom.

5. sue232

sue232 Member

Okay, so I have decided that they are fungus gnats. Should I repot with new soil, or try sticky traps or cider vinegar. I also read that peppermint tea will work. Any suggestions?

6. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

No need to re-pot. You are watering to often and therefore keeping the surface of the soil constantly too wet. Let the surface dry out. Many people apply a layer of coarse sand to the surface of the container, which quickly dries out after watering, and stops the infestation. - Millet (1,169-)

7. roachslayer

roachslayer Member

I had a terrible infestation of fungus gnats. I try and water as little as possible (I have CHC as a medium) in hopes to dry out the surface, but its not super effective.

The other day I went to check on the gnat activity. I found spider webs woven across the surface of the pot, and no gnats. Hahaha, suckers! This is the first time in my life I have ever appreciated spiders.