Identifying a young palm

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Palmluvr, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Palmluvr

Palmluvr Member

Hi!

I am new to this forum, and I have spent the last several hours looking all over the internet to try and identify a plant. I bought it in McAllen, TX but it has no identification on it.

It's about 12 inches tall from the base to the tallest leaf. It's got green feather leaves, and spines and old leaf bases on the small trunk. It's in a pot right now and I will keep it there for awhile.

Everywhere I've looked, the pictures I see are of large, mature palms. I am hoping I have a sago palm, but it's just adorable and I want to find out what kind it is so that I can take good care of him. (His name is Sam the Sago Palm)

I live in St. Louis, MO now but will be relocating to Mobile, AL this winter, so I think Sam will be happier there.

Well, I have taken pictures and will try to attach them here.

Thanks in advance for all help and advise,
    Palmluvr

2. Palmluvr

Palmluvr Member

Okay, I think I downloaded the picture. Hope this works!

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

4. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Please do post your photo, but I thought you might find this note from author Leland Miyano in Hawaii of interest. Leland has written multiple books on the tropical plants of Hawaii. He is considered an authority on palms. This is was his response to a similar request:

"Aloha. It is almost impossible to confirm an identity
    on these as they appear to be a cluster of young palm
    seedlings of a pinnate species. Many seedlings look
    identical to this photo. I suggest that the grower
    separate one out and let it grow independently until
    some diagnostic character develops. Origin or other
    data may help...any seed description?

Some palm nurseries grow out thousands of seedlings."

Even palm experts will rarely venture a guess until the plant has reached some size.

5. Vireya

Vireya Member

If the plant has feathery leaves it is probably not a sago. What we commonly call sago palms is a Cycad and has pretty hard and deep green leaves a few weeks after a "leaf" emerges. I agree with photopro, almost impossible to id a young palm, normally only can narrow it down. The picture will help though