Good Fungicide for houseplants

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Pickwick, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Pickwick

Pickwick Member

Hi Everyone,

All the suggestions I've received on here have worked, so thanks to everyone who's responded in the past.

Anyway, I'm taking care of my parents Christmas Cactus, complete with fungus gnats and related fungus. Here are a few questions:

1) what is the best fungicide for a succulent?

2) Will this fungicide (or the hopeful lack of fungus) eventually kill off the fungus gnats?

3) How far away from other houseplants should I keep the infected Christmas Cactus. (I've been fortunate to avoid fungus gnat problems and would love to keep it that way).

2. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

Perhaps someone else could recommend a fungicide for succulent plants.

I am in the medical field and I can tell you for sure that the best way to address any problem is to treat the problem itself, not the symptom. So back to your questions/concerns.

Fungus gnats generally show up if there is excessive rotting of organic material in the soil. Most often it is a result of over-watering. The best way to address this is to change your watering practices in the future. However, what do you do about the soil? Change it. Although, "Christmas Cacti" (Schlumbergera) are not full-sun, arid-climate plants, but rather considered "jungle cacti", they will need some moisture. Moisture does not mean having the roots sit in wet soil, though. The roots also need a lot of air. This means a mix that is very loose. Generous amounts of vermiculite, perlite, and/or "orchid mix" of bark chips, etc., then a little potting soil mixed in. Dust the roots with some rooting hormone (these products often contain a fungicide), then do not water for a 5-7 days to allow any repotting-related root damage to callus over, then lightly water. Attempt to keep the soil mix slightly moist, how much water and how often is up to the plant's water uptake and how quickly your soil mix naturally dries out.

3. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Cut back on the watering. Probe with your finger unto the soil and only water when the top 1/3 of the soil is totally dry. Problem solved.

4. Plant Newbie

Plant Newbie Active Member

What is a good fungicide for a pachira?