hardy vs nonhardy hibiscus

Discussion in 'Hibiscus' started by lstano, Jul 28, 2007.

1. lstano

lstano Member

I was given two large hibscus plants. They are in pots and stand about 4 feet tall. They appear very bushy. One has a very large red single flower. The other appears to be a double flower, peach in color.
    How do I know if they are hardy and will winter over in my area (zone 5)?
    Thanks.
    LaDonna

2. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

The principal way to tell the difference between a tropical and hardy Hibiscus variety is to check the leaves. Tropical Hibiscus have dark green glossy leaves and flowers that are either single or double with*colors of pink,*red, yellow, salmon, orange, golden, or peach. Tropical Hibiscus flowers normally last only a single day. The hardy perennial Hibiscus has medium-green foliage with dull*heart shaped leaves.. Their flowers are white, red, or pink and are generally larger than the tropical plant. However,hybridizaton changes everything! So you may find colors in a hybrid that are not found in species varieties. Your best source of information on Hibiscus is here:

http://americanhibiscus.org/

Last edited: Jul 28, 2007
  3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Sounds like you have the tropical Hibiscus rosa-sinensis, if the plant with the single red flowers has the same habit and leaves as the double peach then that's what they both are. These prefer warm humid conditions and bright light, require protection from frost.

The commonest hardy hibiscus are H. moscheutos and H. syriacus. The first is an herbaceous perennial and the second is a deciduous shrub.

4. lstano

lstano Member

Thanks so much. I won't try to plant them in the garden then. I will try to overwinter them in the house.