fuzzy white Caterpillar

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by geoshar, Sep 22, 2009.

1. geoshar

geoshar Member

I have been unable to identify this fellow.The caterpillar of the hickory tussock moth looks very similar but it isn't that.
    They are less than an inch long and seem to be everywhere, especially climbing up the sides of our house
    We live in Eastern Ontario beside a lake, and our property has a natural habitat shoreline.
    Would appreciate any help you can give with identification.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h259/geoshar/catalpiller.jpg

2. ian66

ian66 Active Member

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

4. yvonne

yvonne Member

i saw the same fuzzy fellow, ive seen two of them in a matter of 3 weeks, never seen them before, dont know what it means. hopefully it doesnt mean a bad winter. i live in monticello new york.

5. yvonne

yvonne Member

is there a reason for me to see 2 of them in the same 2 weeks and never seen them before in my 47 yrs. ive seen the half black half orange ones, usually around halloween time, and other fuzzy ones, but not white ones. what does this mean? does it mean a bad winter? yvonne

6. geoshar

geoshar Member

It seems that they are indeed Hickory moth.Not surprising, there are a lot of hickory trees around here.
    I have never noticed them before, and this year everyone is commenting on their large numbers.
    Makes you wonder why this year..unless they run in cycles?