Carpinus pruning?

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by Freyja, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Freyja

Freyja Active Member

We have a carpinus in our front yard that the city planted four or so years ago. I was wondering what kind of pruning (if any) these trees need.

I've included a photo from last year showing the shape of the tree. This year, I noticed several shoots coming up from around the lowest branches -- see second photo. Should I leave these shoots or remove them? Should the only pruning I do be to remove dead/damaged branches, and just leave the tree alone otherwise?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If some lower branches are on their way out into the street or over a sidewalk those will have to be curbed.

3. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Hello,

Carpinus need only corrective pruning, ie: damage/repair or desease maintenance.

The young age of your tree, may be a corrective balance even though the shape is generally pyramidal if it is a C. betulas, or C. caroliniana more round headed.

How is the general health of the tree/bark/joints?

4. Freyja

Freyja Active Member

Thanks for your replies. Bark and joints look good. The only thing I see "wrong" with the tree is the top ~1 foot of the main branch/trunk looks dead after this past winter. The rest of the tree is budding well. I can't tell if the branch is broken/cracked, but that is what I suspect (even though it is still standing straight up) -- there were a couple other branches that broke under the weight of the snow as well this winter.

I was planning on using long-handled pruners to take that dead branch off, hoping that it wouldn't affect the tree too much (I was a bit concerned because it is one of the main branches).