Reseeding poppies (edit: now peonies)

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by vicarious1, Jun 22, 2011.

1. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    Hello I was going to ask a similar question about some poppies I got and that are flowering the 1st time red and pink.

So there is the flower of the poppy with the stunning center sort of starfish shaped on a ball and all these little stems around. I thought these are the seeds. Reading hre I presume they are not. So I have to wait that all the petals fall down and then wait for the ball to dry? Is that correct? Then can I then reseed them right away or do they need to go into a fridge to mimic winter or so and if so for how long.

Thank you so much.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2012
  2. abgardeneer

abgardeneer Active Member

Re: When to cut down poppy stalks/pods, and transplant?

Here are pictures of poppy seed heads (most of these are Papaver somniferum but other species have differently shaped seed heads). The seeds are inside the seed head.
    http://www.google.ca/search?client=...A&biw=1786&bih=985&sei=27sZUPvCEoOoiQKj24CYAw

Yes, you need to wait until the petals have dropped, and then longer yet until the poppy seed head has dried. Then, the seeds inside will be loose and can be shaken out the holes that form just under the cap of the seed head. You can sprinkle the seeds around where you want them to grow, or save them until next year - it's up to you.
    The seeds of most poppy species (whether annual or perennial) don't require any particular treatment to germinate, in other words, they don't need cold/warm stratification; they will germinate when sown on moist soil, whether in the ground or in a pot. By the way, placing dry seeds in a fridge does not enhance germination in any way (you can do it for storage though if you want); you can only stratify seeds that need it by sowing them in a moist medium and then exposing them to periods of cold or warmth.

3. vicarious1

Thank you very much. Will sure do my best. I have dark red ones and Pink with white center.. and have collected some pale pink from friends.

4. abgardeneer

From the description you've added, it's likely your poppies are Papaver somniferum (at least the pink with white center one), which is an annual poppy. In that case, you may want to save the seeds for next year, unless your season is long enough for them to grow and mature to flowering from seeding now?

5. vicarious1

Mmm I planted them 3 years ago and they have grown since but this was the 1st year they made flowers. The seeds are still on the plant although it looks very UGLY but I am doing my best to wait ...these are the pics.

Attached Files:

6. abgardeneer

Well, those aren't poppies at all. They're herbaceous peonies (Paeonia cultivars)... If you don't know plants, it's probably a good idea to always post a photo!

Double peonies may not produce viable seeds, as the reproductive organs have changed into extra petals. If you leave the stems and seed pods alone, you will see the seed pods (which are 3-to-5 part, star-like structures) eventually open; only the large, full black or dark purple seeds are viable; any red ones were not fertilized. You can just allow the seeds to fall on the ground around the plant (the easiest way to go) and move the resulting seedlings around where you want them.

7. vicarious1

Oh I am so sorry ... totally on wrong foot off ..

MUST BE MY AGE 57 going senile ...haha

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2012