Tiny white larvae falling from my ash tree

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by kahester, Jun 25, 2006.

1. kahester

kahester Member

We have an ash tree next to our front deck and driveway. It has been pretty dry here in Central Iowa and the other day I noticed tiny oblong off-white grainy things on the deck in addition to the white dried sap granules, but didn't think much about it.

We finally got a good rain last night and this morning I noticed a ton more of these falling from the tree, except they were white and I realized that they were jumping and seemed to be trying to stay in the wettest spots on the deck and car. They are only about 1-2mm in length and now that it has dried off, they are off-white and not moving, so I assume they are dead. They look like little larvae, but I have not been able to find anything online to identify them. That I can tell (I haven't taken our microscope to them), they don't have a black/dark head like so many of the small white larvae I find mentioned online. The tree does not seem to show any signs of distress other than a few dead branches, but in my experience with ash trees (I grew up with one in our backyard), that's pretty typical.

Any ideas as to what these are would be appreciated--or possibly direction to a site that might help. I can try to get pictures up soon.

Thank you,
    Karleen Hester
    Ames, Iowa, US

2. GracieC74

GracieC74 Member

Did you ever get an answer or a resolution to this problem? I have the exact same issue this morning, however I dont think its an ash tree. I am not sure what kind of tree it is really, but there are thousands and thousands of tiny maggot looking things all over my car and driveway and porch this morning after a heavy rain yesterday. Thanks for your help!

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Something similar exists in my area and it's known as Oak Leaf Skeletonizer. Could it be the same creature?

4. paulw

paulw Member

I think it might be ash seed weevil check out the site below and you could confirm it.

http://www.forestpests.org/ash/ashseedweevils.html

PW

5. GracieC74

GracieC74 Member

Thank you so much for sending that!! That is exactly what I have. I didn't know what kind of tree that was out there, but after seeing the seeds and the picture of the weevil in there, thats it! Thank you. Now, how to get rid of them.....

6. paulw

paulw Member

It seems to me that control is rarely necessary, natural control is often enough. Remember while they are annoying they are affecting the seeds and not threatening the well being of the tree.

PW

7. GracieC74

GracieC74 Member

Thats good to know. The only thing I could find that resembled them were carpenter ant larvae, so this is a huge relief! Thanks again! I really do appreciate it!!