Blue Poinsettia?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Tim Yoho, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Tim Yoho

Tim Yoho Member

I purchased a Poinsettia at a local Grocery Store that has many blue leaves. The leaves are not dyed and some are now changing to typical pink/red color. Do I have a hybrid or recessive color expression? If not, could this be a soil pH condition? Two pictures of plants are attached (I hope since this is my first post :)

Tim Yoho
    Lock Haven, PA

Attached Files:

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

usually spraypaint, sometimes a die injected. the sparklies if present are also man made and usually just sprayed on. I havent watched one (a blue point) long enough to see it come back from the abhorent color treatment before, interesting.

3. Tim Yoho

Tim Yoho Member

Thanks for Reply.
    If dye was used it must be systemic since leaves are evenly colored with no indication of surface application. There are no sparkles present. After one week (since purchase), only about half of the previous blue leaves remain. Either the dye is bleaching or the chromoplasts in leaves are now producing red pigment. In any event, everyone who has seen plant remarks on its unusual beauty.

Tim Yoho

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Washington Post article

I'm not certain what you have if there's no indication of application, but I know that blue colouration would not naturally occur - as far as I know, there's very little evidence of those kind of pigments within the genus. All I could find with just a touch of blue are a few of the succulent Euphorbia members.

5. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

Your blue pointsettia is probably a 'Fantasy' pointsettia- they are dyed and I suspect the dye is bleaching out. If you google fantasy pointsettia, you find it is trend/fad for large garden centers to have fantasy parties to custom color your holiday plant.

6. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I hope they'll put an end to this type of artifical manipulation. It just isn't right. Besides it's also a case of product misrepresentation.

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Making plants something they aren't like this would be another example of catering to a culture that is divorced from plants and nature. For the same reason garden centers diversify into non-plant items to stay open, landcape contractors feature paving, waterfalls and stonework over planting, and a certain other gardening discussion web site is full of links to non-gardening topics.

Seasonal potted plants like poinsettias are grown to be thrown away after the holiday they are associated with. So the whole exercise has a certain aspect to it already, that isn't much impinged by dying the plants or putting sparkles on them.

8. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Yes - brings up the image of Charlie Brown in the field of aluminum Christmas trees.

9. Tommyr

Tommyr Member

I think they're ugly as heck personally. They have purple ones too.

Happy holidays and new year to you all.

Tom

10. Ron B

Buy one and throw it away before the holidays are over if it makes you feel better.

11. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

With the Photo of the Day, it is very apparent to me that different people like different things (and sometimes it surprises me). And some people really like novelty, particularly if it is a conversation-starter (as this must be in the first few years of its release - and evidenced by the folks here).

As it happens, I'm in general agreement with the offered opinions. However, my big picture beliefs are that there is definitely room on these forums for people who are keen to learn about pigmentation of blue poinsettias, even if blue poinsettias are not to everybody's tastes.

Tim, I've noted you haven't posted any other replies since last week. If it's because of the responses to this question, please don't let these discourage you from participating on the forums. If it's not, then I've slipped into my bad habit of reading too much into things, and I apologize for speculating.

12. Ron B

I thought speculation was prompted by information about blue chip stocks, not blue sparkling flowers.

13. Hey Tim Yoho- I bought one too and I love it- it is beautiful! And hey, if no one experimented with plants we wouldn't have roses.

14. Ron B

Blue roses at that.

15. Krissy

Krissy New Member

I think it's absolutely gorgeous! If planted outside in Florida they will grow into large bushes/trees. I attempt to save them from poinsettia trashers around Christmas, mine has new leaves on it now and it's about double the size that I planted it at in January. just have to protect from the frost. Seems like a water dye that's done with carnations. I know hydrangea bushes can be manipulated to change color with things like coffee grounds, diluted vinegar, banana peels. I would rather see something more organic rather than the spray, however I wouldn't throw it away, I would still salvage it's spray blue glittery life and not waste a plant that looks amazing as a bush by throwing it away because it's not Christmas. baby/bathwater...