How to prepare branch cutting of fig tree to create new plant?

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by Young Thadius, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Young Thadius

Young Thadius Member

How could I prepare a branch cutting from a fig tree to create a new plant?

2. natale57

natale57 Member

when is best time to do this! Can you use any branch

3. Applenut

Applenut Active Member

In the spring before the tree leafs out, cut a 12 inch long piece of branch up to 3/4 of an inch thick. Bury it all except the last bud on top. It will root itself quite easily and grow vigorously throughout the summer.

4. MPolanow

MPolanow Member

Can I still do that now in June? Cut off a 12" branch, bury all of it (including leaves?) except the last bud? My husband would like part of his Grandfather's fig tree, and they bring branches to us (it's a two hour drive), but they never grow. Leaves wilt the next day, but we usually only put about 2" in the dirt. If the leaves wilt, should we just palnt them deeper, or is it too late?

5. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

you can root them by just putting the cutting a few inches in soil moisten than cover the whole thing in a clear plastic bag than when it starts growing open the bag a few hours each day till you can take the bag off. they are fairly easy to air layer also.i have rooted a few just sticking a cutting in soil leaving it in the shade. and keep the soil moist not wet. it sometimes loses all its leaves than resprouts as long as it gets no direct sun for a few weeks shady conditions. also when they get the cuttings have them try to get them just before they leave and place in a clear bag with a slightly damp paper towel and make sure they donot get any sun on them so they donot get hot the fresher the cutting the better.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  6. arttu

arttu Member

I understand this thread is old, but just had a small cutting from our son's fig tree and placed it in a glass of water. The cutting is growing roots (very tiny) and also now there is something green growing between the leaf and the stem cutting (presume a leaf). When should the cutting be put into soil??? I really really want to make this propogation work :)

Thank you, in advance, for any help or advice.

7. msd

msd Member

I took cuttings from three different trees, wrapped each one in wet paper towels
    [roll one place another and roll etc.] then placed in a ziplock bag. I left them on
    top of the fridge out of direct sunlight. Open the bag for very little while if too
    much condensation then reclose. You should see little white bumps or roots after
    about three weeks. Don't rush [I had to stop peeking at the bag]. Place cutting in
    plastic cup with vermiculite and keep moist. Once there's a strong root system
    you can pot in compost and soil. Good Luck!

8. msd

msd Member

We're growing strong! [my figs]

Since my last visit my fig cuttings have really taken off. Five of the seven have
    started to grow roots and anxiously waiting to put the in vermiculite so that I
    can watch through the cups that I will be placing them in. The other two were
    added a later date but are showing the little white bumps that will form roots.
    I'M SO EXCITED because these are my first tree rootings!

9. medusabomb

medusabomb Member

Somewhat related...
    I've emailed several fig 'growers' or 'breeders' here in Canada about buying cuttings, with no replies ( maybe busy season?) Anyhow, is there someone in here or that someone could recommend I try to buy fig cuttings from? I would only want cuttings from plants that are 100% sure that they are accurately identified (ie: no guesses!) and would appreciate any help in this 'quest'! Thanks everyone...

10. Hazboom

Hazboom Member

medusabomb: what sellers did you contact and what are the varieties you are looking for and are you really looking for cuttings only?

11. medusabomb

medusabomb Member

I was looking for cuttings as it seemed easiest to ship without too much damage ( as opposed to a whole plant/pot) I am unable to travel to a bigger center to shop for one, and local places do not carry them. I am not particular as to which type, but live in southern bc, and would be moving it in & out during the season(potted) so something suited to this 'abuse' would be best! Ive emailed a few growers in Ontario, and one in Alberta,and have not heard from any yet.

12. Hazboom

Hazboom Member

If I was you I would go with grimonnut.com they sell whole plants and there is no need to worry about damage since figs are very resilient trees. Grimonut sends the trees bare rooted and they are well packaged. I have ordered from Grimonut once and I was very happy about it.