What's killing my Wisteria

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by ohsam, Aug 8, 2008.

1. ohsam

ohsam Member

I have three different wisteria vines (same species, I think) All have been doing well until recently.

Over the last 16 years one of the wisteria vines has been trained into a small tree.
    The plant was watered and looked "normal". Then something happened over the August long weekend - between Saturday AM & Monday evening, all the leaves curled up and dried out and have now have fallen off. It looked like a house plant that had not been watered. Since I know that is not the case, is there something else that could have caused this ? Have I lost the plant or is there something I can do to salvage the damage.

The others are still doing fine, but I don't want anything to spread. My neighbour lost his wisteria 2 months ago.

Thank you

2. cbrinkerhoff

cbrinkerhoff Member

Hi,
    I have just lost mine in the last couple of weeks, as well! This is a mature wisteria sinensis ("chinese wisteria") that we inherited with our house. We've had absolutely no trouble with it for six years. But this year it bloomed late- no surprise as we had such a cool spring. But just as you say, a few weeks back the leaves began to curl, then dry. They don't appear to have yellowed so much as dried out.We also have a vigourous healthy wisteria floribunda (pale pink blossoms, blooms AFTER the leaves come out) and it is doing fine.
    I will try to get some help with this. If I hear of anything, I'll stay in touch. For the time being, I am going to water it, give it some compost, and be very kind to it!
    cbrinkerhoff

3. ohsam

ohsam Member

Agreed, I'm watering and fertizing my wisteria as well. I am hoping we can do something so all is not lost and it will come back again next year.

I have carefully checked the leaves and no signs of pests. Nothing. The leaves never yellowed, they jsut shrivelled and dried up. I have checked the plants surrounding the root system in case it is something in the ground. All is OK for now

I'm watching the other wisteria very closely. I will be standing by if you find anyhting out.

good 'hunting'

4. laurie marson

laurie marson Member

I have just had the same experience with my 20 year old wisteria. All the leaves and blossoms dried up several months ago. We took off all of these dried parts, then it seemed to revive and new leaves and blossoms began. About 2 weeks ago the same drying out started to occur. We can't find any evidence of bugs or borers. Watering seems to be okay, a bit on the dry side as we are in Berkeley, Ca where we are having a drought.

Any ideas or help?

5. bykergus

bykergus Member

I have just the opposite problem. I don't water it. I cut it up. I try to kill it every way I can. I'm in Penngrove, California and I can't get rid of it.
    Everytime I try, I pull, I dig - everything - and if I pull up 3, 6 more come up.
    Try to kill it .. and it will thrive. I've done everything but poison it ..

Man .. if anyone wanted plants, this would be the one to take cuttings off of .. and the seeds it generates ? Fun to hear them pop .. but .. everyone of them take root.

So, that's my solution .. try to kill it .. it will thrive ...

Now .. anyone have any ideas on how to kill these buggers short of drowning them over the years in Round-up ?

Thanks,

Gus

6. laurie marson

laurie marson Member

Thanks, Gus. I will try to go at it with an ax! Laurie

7. world be free

world be free Member

Brought this thread back to life............just like the wisteria. I don't know how you manage to kill the wisteria because everytime we try to get rid of it, it just keeps

coming back to life. It is the "Rasputin" of all plants or the "Christine" (Stephen King movie) of all plants. No matter what you do, this plant will come back to life

again and again. I believe this plant would survive a nuclear war...........it is that hardy. We have the chinese version that was purchased from Springhill

catalog. I don't know what happen to your plant but if you find out, please let us know, I think you found wisteria's kryptonite. We are renovating our backyard and

the contractor managed to unearthed our mature wisteria (15yrs old) with his Caterpillar earth mover and you would not believe how long the roots are. They are

at least 50-60 ft long and grew from the trunk like medusa's head, it was not a nice sight. They were rope like vines 2-3in in diameter, similar to what you would

see Tarzan swinging from vine to vine. I would not plant these ever again, specially near the home or foundation because they will swallow and choke everything in

sight. I can't speak for everyone else but from my experience these plants should

have a warning lable, PLANT AT YOUR ON RISK! WILL CHOKE EVERYTHING IN SIGHT.