help for a school project please

Discussion in 'Plants: Science and Cultivation' started by kristin, Sep 22, 2004.

1. kristin

kristin New Member

Hi,

My name is Kristin and I'm doing a science project for my school where we have to interview others in physical science subjects, such as botany. I was wondering if you would answer a few questions for me.

1. Does coca-cola work better than water for plants? If so, why?

2. How do plants produce their own food?

3. Is it difficult to take care of plants? Why?

4. What do you do with plants? How do you study them? Do you take tests on them with chemicals or just observe?

5. How big is the sun a factor of plant growth?

I would really appreciate it if you would answer these questions for me, a.s.a.p. Thanks a lot,

2. hungry hippo

hungry hippo Active Member 10 Years

Hi Kristin,

That sounds like an excellent project! I would recommend that you use some of the many resources on the web to give yourself a basic understanding of plant life and biology. Your local library will also have a number of books that should prove helpful and informative. Here are some very basic answers to your questions. They are all very good questions (well, except the first one!) and the answers deserve to be studied in much more detail than I can provide here.

1) No.
    2) Plants convert carbon dioxide and water into "food" by using the energy from the sun (sunlight). This fascinating process is called "photosynthesis" and you would probably enjoy learning more about it.
    3) Yes and no. Most plants fail to flourish because they are placed in locations that do not meet their requirements. The best way to "care" for plants is to provide them with growing conditions (light, temperature, water, nutrition etc.) that are as close as possible to their native environment.
    4)Ask questions! Observation and reading are great ways to learn.
    5) A huge factor (see #2). Sunlight sustains life on this planet as we know it. This is a great thing to study and learn about and by doing so you will be able to help make sure that we all work together to keep that sunlight doing what it is supposed to!

Good luck with your science project

3. help for a school project too

does anyone know a recently discovered flowering plant that has fruits that birds eat which grows at a volcano/volcano island at the pacific ocean near hawaii?

thanks

4. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

This is an old thread, but it reminded me of a college experiment.

(first, light and water are essential to most plants, but not soil or sun - plants can grow in moist gravel, like hydroponices, or in a sealed room with artificial light)

Anyhow, I was studying auxins, light, gravity etc.. I germinated a bean seed in a cup - but the bottom of the cup where I cut a hole. The cup was upside down.

When the seed germinated and grew a couple of inches, we inverted the cup so the open end was up again and the seedling pointing downward. These were enclosed in a dark box with a grow light underneath.

I had expected the plant to grow downward toward the light, but found out that the plant curved upward to at least sideways growth and some upward growth.

This demonstrated that gravity had a tremendous influence on plant growth.

I do not remember what the roots did. I am planning to duplicate this experiment with my son.

5. botany student

i am doing a project for my botany class i cant get started i cant figure out what to do it on maybe somebody can give an idea help

6. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hey Melanie, I am not going to make a specific suggestion of topic for your project. You really need to figure out what interests you and choose your own project. (That's part of learning...Isn't it?) You have found an excellent source of ideas. Why don't you spend some time looking through the forums and the weblog on our home page. Find the topic that interests you the most then you will motivated to learn more about it and your project will be a success.