more orchid identification

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by mitzi56, Jul 4, 2007.

1. mitzi56

mitzi56 Member

i have 3 orchids of which i cannot identify. is there anyone who could give me there basic common names? if you cant see them clearly enough let me know and i will re-shoot them more clearly. ty for any help i can get,

i just put up a better photo of the second orchid if someone could help me identify this last plant ty

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2007
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Many thousands of kinds. Ones with labels can be looked up on internet searching part or all of label as phrase. Complex hybrids (SLC is an abbreviated generic name indicating it is a multigeneric hybrid, in this case I think probably Sophrolaeliocattleya (spelling approximate)) such as one shown in right photo will not have common names.

Dragging them to a patient local orchid grower may result in useful tips about managing them under local conditions.

3. mitzi56

mitzi56 Member

ya i found 7 of my un named plants by searching the web but these 3 im not having any luck all except for the one you said was probably a cattleya ty for that one. i will see if i can find a local orchid society in my area to find the rest ty

4. smivies

smivies Active Member

Orchid #2 appears to be a Dendrobium of some type, beyond that you'd have to get it to flower before even a Dendrobium expert would have a chance at ID. #1 is a bit out of focus...can't see it clearly enough to ID. The name you see for #3 is likely correct as SLC refers to the the multigeneric hybrid name as Ron said earlier.

5. mitzi56

mitzi56 Member

ty so much just knowing its a dendobrium helps a lot, ill try toi put up a better pic tommorroe on the other one, then ill have all 3, you guys have been very hepful ty