old hard green pears

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by donjoyky, Sep 19, 2008.

1. donjoyky

donjoyky Member

We have an old farm that dates back to the early 1800's, that has one old pear tree that each year has 100's of pears. The pears are hard as rock unless wrapped in paper and put away for some time, even when you watch them very close, most will rot rather than rippen.

Two questions one what type of tree may this be and is there a better way of dealing with the rotting problem

thanks

2. JanR

JanR Active Member

I have never had a pear tree, but I have heard that with pears you have to pick them before they are ripe and allow them to ripen off the tree. I think what you have experienced is fairly normal.

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

You probably have an ancient variety with fruit meant for cooking.

4. jascha

jascha Active Member

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

What probably throws people is that popular 'Bartlett' is a European pear that can be eaten from the tree. Asian pears are also eaten tree-ripened.

Otherwise, some pear trees seen around appear to be unselected seedlings perhaps close to original wild species. Some of these may have been planted originally as rootstocks, outlived the orchard varieties grafted onto them. If yours has quite small fruits it may not, in fact be very suitable for eating under any circumstances.

If large-fruited or seeming with certainty to be an orchard cultivar for other reasons then reviewing and changing your storage procedure would seem to be the answer.