Propagation: Rose seeds

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by jreidsma, Oct 26, 2009.

1. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

Im trying to grow some rose seeds and from the info that I have gathered I have rinsed them off in a extremely mild bleach and water mix then soaked them in hydrogen peroxide for 24 hours. Then put them into the refrigerator, and it has been about 2 or 3 months. Does any one have any tips with growing rose seeds.

2. GreenElephant

GreenElephant Active Member

winter sowing works well. The fridge treatment is like the stratification process in nature. But just take your seeds, sow them in a pot. Put the pot outside in yoiur garden for the winter. Let the cold/wet cycles of winter break the dormancy of the seed and you should see germination in spring. Be sure to mark the pot . . . by spring you may forget what you planted in there.

3. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

They have been in the refrigerator for about 3-5 months now and nothing has happend. I will n ot give up on rose seed though as soon as there are more rose seeds I will try again. Thanks for the info

4. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Commercial hybridizers working with Tea, Floribunda, Multiflora, and Florabunda roses ordinarily propagate by bud grafting them onto hardy vigorous growing rose seedlings. The most commonly used seedling stock throughout the country is the thornless R. multiflora. It suckers less than many common roses, and is easily grown from seed planted in the fall soon after the hips ripen, or they are stratified at 40 degrees F. for six weeks, and planted in the spring. - Millet (1,142-)

5. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

I dont know what type of rose they are. The plant isnt that big its around a meter (2-3ft).

6. GreenElephant

I recenty read in The Grafter's Handbook, that roses often require a 2-year cycle of stratification to break dormancy. So if they don't germinate this year, let them sit a second year and see what you get. I have had good germination after just one winter on some species.

7. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

Thanks does that mean to keep them in a cold area for around 4-6 months then at room temp for 4-6 months? I havent checked on them for a while so they might be doing something.

8. GreenElephant

If you check them and see some germination, you can bring them into heat. I just let my winter sown things sit outside and germinate with the spring sunshine.

9. valleygardener

valleygardener Active Member

We usually plant a few rose seeds each year. Some are deliberate crosses and some are random. It depends on how much time we have during the growing season. We usually harvest and clean the seeds just before the first frost or sometime in November and sometimes into December. They are stored in the refrigerator until late January when we plant them in a steralized potting mix. We keep ours in our greenhouse at 45-50 degrees and sometimes a few will germinate within a few days while others will take much longer. We are told that they some could take up to 3 years. However, ours continue to germinate until we get summer heat, then they stop. So, I think the ideal temperature seems to be 45-50 degrees.

I'ts a lot of fun to see the new babies - if we're lucky we even get a few very attractive new roses. To date we have about 30 of our own roses that we think are very unique. Fortunately, most are disease resistant.

10. 1950Greg

1950Greg Active Member

Langley, B.C. Stones throw from old HBC farm.
  11. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

Thanks. I might be able to try more rose seeds but Im getting 10 sapling trees from the arbor day place in MI when it warms up outside. I also bought desert rose seeds to try and alot of other things so I dont have the room to try more but I likly will try some more just because their there.

12. ariani

ariani Active Member 10 Years

I planted some rose seeds in the pot and watered them but nothing happen. Shall I still wait for any miracle or should I reuse the pot to plant somtheing else?

13. jreidsma

jreidsma Active Member

Hi,
    Wow, its been a while sense I posted on here :)

Heres a good website about how to sprout rose seeds:
    http://scvrs.homestead.com/HybridizeKB1.html

If they don't sprout for quite a while I would dig around and try to find them. Then if you find them and they are rotting they aren't any good, but if they still look fine or are sprouting then you know :)

14. Jebbo

Jebbo New Member

since now i hadn´t any problems with my roses. I think it kinda depends on how good the seeds are, or better said the sort of the seed. I have planted some in my garden, they are growing reallyyy good and looking awesome. I love the smell of it.