Maple photo's

Discussion in 'Maples' started by mbhock, Feb 3, 2008.

1. mbhock

mbhock Member

Hello,

Never done this before and feel a bit wierd. i am a small nurseryman from the North of England. I have a new website and need some good pictures of Maple (acer palmatum, sieboldianum, japonicum etc & Cornus florida & kousa varieties....I'm not much of a photographer and wondered if anyone has any I could use....I have tried many photo libraries but they are prohibitively expensive...i don't mind a few pounds but some are asking tens and even hundreds and i can't afford that. I am more than happy to put a citation/credit with the photographers name and any other details, or you can do it yourself of course. I collect plants and have a large collection of hollies, maples & cornus....but photogaphing them is not my thing...and when i've tried the results are pathetic!

Can anyone help or advise. I can easily add 'picture pending' or 'visit google' or but it lacks any personal touch

Many thanks....Malcolm

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

3. mbhock

mbhock Member

Thanks for that Ron!
    I do a lot of budding/grafting for a few arboretums, but i can never take a good picture even of mature trees or shrubs...well one or two perhaps...The pictures on the site (www.plantsmanscorner.co.uk) are my own, however it's taken me hundreds of attempts to get them. the site only went live yesterday so there is no hurry to fill it, i would just like good pictures that give a 'feel' of a plant......It's funny how when you plant something there are times that you know it's right...it 'feels' right...it's the same i reckon with photo's....some say minimal stuff, others a lot. they tell me i can put roots on clothes pegs, but i'm crap at photography! funny old life.
    Thanks agauin for your reply.
    Best wishes....Malcolm

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

There are plenty of photos under free license at Wikimedia Commons:
    http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Acer
    All you need to do is to follow the license requirements (usually means citing the source, photographer, and license).

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

That IS a pretty good assortment (can't beat the price). Didn't know about this resource.

6. mbhock

mbhock Member

Thank you for that Michael....never thought of it myself......I'll perhaps put some of my acceptable images out on wikipedia and let them be used likewise.....
    Best wishes......Malcolm