Two cultivars for ID

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by lorax, Apr 12, 2008.

1. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I'm usually pretty good about playing "name that cultivar" with roses (a good friend is a serious rose nut) but since I moved to Ecuador I've been encountering things I have quite literally never seen before.

Can anybody help me out with this pair?

Photos one and two are of some seriously long-stemmed two-tones. The stems on these puppies are pushing three feet, and the flower is about three inches tall itself. In case the colour hasn't come out correctly in the photos, they are pale green with pale pink to rose edges and centers.

Photos three and four are of very slender longstems, about 18 inch stems with 2-1/2 inch tall flowers on them. These were fuchsia stripes on white. I am leaning towards Camaieux, but I could be quite wrong.

Thanks in advance, folks!

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Second is Rosa gallica 'Versicolor' (a.k.a. Rosa Mundi) or closely similar.

3. lorax

Thanks! Now there's just the green ones.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

These look like modern roses to me, maybe even florist greenhouse cultivars considering the location. There are other striped roses besides R. gallica 'Versicolor', an old garden rose probably not even able to grow where you are.

5. lorax

They are from the floricolas here, so they are most probably modern florist's culitvars. Sorry, I forgot to mention that.

Old garden roses will grow here, so long as the elevation is above 1200 meters (for proper climate.) However, the florist greenhouse roses are far more common.

I'm going to try rooting some of the green ones, since I really like them.