please help identify grape vine fungus or disease

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by nahall, Jun 10, 2006.

1. nahall

nahall Member

please look at the attached photo of a hard gel type fungus or virus on the grape vine leaves and buds located in western pennsylvania
    please help to identify it so we can combat it a.s.a.p.

Attached Files:

2. wrygrass2

wrygrass2 Active Member 10 Years

Looks like a leaf gall? of some type to me. They're caused by mites. The one I found that infest grape leaves didn't seem to fit though. That was Grape phylloxera. But perhaps you might locate others as one page said there were 4 others that infested grape plants to a lesser degree. Harry

3. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

Do you have a shot of the underside of the same leaf? Try to get just the leaf in the frame of the photo. also a closeup of the bunch. Take lots and give us the best 1 or 2.

I'm not convinced of phylloxera but I wouldn't rule it out either. What variety is this plant? Is it the only one effected or is there a patch? Is this problem high or low on the vine?

You have a very active organization in your state, ask for help; it helps them and it can help you at the same time:

http://winegrape.cas.psu.edu/
    PSU Wine Grape Network

Ralph

4. Ralph Walton

So, not phyloxera on a Concord; I'd go with Anthracnose or Downy Mildew or perhaps both as it's not strictly typical of either.

Ralph

5. aquadjr

aquadjr Member

Would you guys also mind looking at my grape leaves:

http://www.vibrial.com/grape/

I took several photos from the top and bottom of my concord grape leaves and posted them up on my website. This is on concord grape leaves, and looks kinda similar to the image above.

Any insight on the cause and effect of this would be greatly appreciated.

6. earlene

earlene Member

Our "Interlaken" grape plant has bumps on the top of the leaves. On the bottom, under the bumps and spreading are what looks like the fine web structure like those covering spider eggs. I am enclosing a picture showing each side of a leaf. This is a very old grape plant which grow up and around a large deck and also up and around a trellis above the deck, we do not want to lose it.

Attached Files:

7. Ralph Walton

Earlene:
    Sorry for the delay; I was hoping somebody would leap in with the correct answer. I think you are looking at an insect of some sort, but I can't identify the culprit. I suggest you contact the Mt. Vernon Extension station and send those pictures when you have identified a suitably interested person. This is their web site:
    http://mtvernon.wsu.edu/

Ralph

8. wprev

wprev Member

Hello,
    Do you have an ID on the type of disease that your vines have? I am in Vancouver, BC, Canada and have the same type of problem with my leaves.
    Any help on this would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Walter

9. dorismae

dorismae Member

We have the same thing here in Copake ,New York on our Concord Grape Leaves We live near the Ma boarder and our leaves have the same bumps on them, any help on this would be greatfully We have had a lot of rain this past week. If you have any idea how to help us please e=-mail

10. wprev

wprev Member

Hi,
    I've done some subsequent research and I think that this problem is caused from 'blister mites'. Google this and you'll find a lot of info out there. Sounds like there isn't much that you can do as a residential owner, as there are no longer pesticides available to purchase for this. The key is to remove the leaves that show the blisters.

11. Ralph Walton

12. willifive

willifive Member

we have discovered a similar type fungus on wild grape vine growing around our home
    in eastern ontario, but have not been able to identify.

13. dimoklis

dimoklis Member

we have citrus and grapes and other fruit bearing trees etc. My citrus has had leaf minor and this is what it looks like to me, there is a spray or powder for this, but all the infected leaves must be removed, our citrus got it from neighbors trees, pretty regular spraying with leaf minor product seems to be working, though not eliminating all of it.

14. Mike Mull

Mike Mull Member

my grapes have small bumps like yours. What did you find as the cause and what did you do to cure it?