Thorny tree ID

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by flowbeliever, Dec 15, 2008.

1. flowbeliever

flowbeliever Member

OK, I'm probably going to do this all wrong, because the How to Post link did not help me. I'm really sorry if this is a clumsy first attempt. The question I have has to do with three photos my son sent me which he took on a recent visit in Las Vegas. I am honored that he thinks me able to identify any plant he sees, but this one has me stumped. It appears to have similarities to honey locust or acacia trees (I am no botanist, but I am eager to learn!). I am now going to attempt to connect you to the three photos, and hope that someone out there is actually able to find this message and (even more hopefully) can tell me exactly what this tree is. Thank you for your patience. I hope I can become a more facile user of this site in the future! Susan

IMG_3782.jpg
    IMG_3784.jpg
    IMG_3783.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

3. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

4. Ron B

It wouldn't be a Gleditsia.

5. flowbeliever

flowbeliever Member

Thank you, Ron. I still don't see exactly what his photos show, but I will continue looking. In the mean time, I asked him if he had a photo that shows the shape of the canopy. With no pods, fruit, or flowers pictured, and "thorns" shaped so straight and spike-like, I can't see h ow similar his photos are to the pictures you directed me to, but I'll look some more. Thanks again! Susan

6. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

I'd believe it's Prosopis chilensis or prosopis hybrid: "Chilean Mesquite".
    They vary from thorny to thornless and are common in Nurseries and reseed freely.

HTH
    Chris

7. galen

galen Member

I'm thinking a Locus, The Black Locus is common around me. Which is what it looks like from the pictures. Maybe not.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  8. Ron B

No, it's not a Robinia either. A Prosopis seems most likely, the fact that it's growing in Las Vegas might narrow it down to a small number of kinds.

9. flowbeliever

flowbeliever Member

Hmmmm. I asked my son if he has other photos of the tree...hopefully showing the canopy. I'll post any that he sends. Thanks again for the help...stay warm :-) Susan

10. samsocal

samsocal Member

I agree with saltcedar (Chris). I own several properties in Las Vegas and this tree is very popular there because it grows very well in that desert climate. When I asked my neighbor what this tree was called he told me it was a Mequite Tree. The thorns on his mequite tree were about half an inch long. The thorns on my tree (20 ft from the other tree) were about an inch long. The thorns would easily penetrate my leather gloves. I had to be careful where I stepped because they would also penetrate the soles of shoes. Every few years it would grow big enough that I would have to hire a gardener to trim it way back. Do not attempt to prune the tree yourself. I made this mistake once and it took weeks for my arms and legs to heal from all the bloody scratches. When the branches grow about 10-15 ft long they would often break in high winds.