Identification: pic of unknown plant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by MOCHA, Jul 13, 2006.

1. MOCHA

MOCHA Active Member

I need some help to id this plant so I know how to care for it.there is also a pic of my crazy aloe with the 5 " tall flower that doesn't bloom.it just gets taller?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2006
  2. Chanticleer

Chanticleer Member

The images are a little small, but I'll hazard a candidate ID: Aspidistra elatior 'Variegata', or variegated cast iron plant. I presume the pinkish colour is a chromatic aberration on the part of the camera, as is the rough, jagged look to the leaf margins (camera phone?). If the leaves really are serrated, it may be a Pandanus, though the somewhat stubby profile would make that unlikely.

The aloe probably just needs more time and/or light for its flower stalk to mature.

3. MOCHA

MOCHA Active Member

well the leaves are like a draceana? It doesn't come out of the soil like a cast Iron plant either? or do the different speices variey as far as growth?

4. Chanticleer

Chanticleer Member

Hmm. A. elatior is the only Aspidistra commonly seen in the trade (aside from "Chinese ribbon plant"); so if your plant has a trunk, it might well be a Dracaena. I suppose the angle of the shots made me think it was low-growing in habit, rather than just young.

5. MOCHA

MOCHA Active Member

ohh sorry about all the PM's Im going to look around on the net and see what I can come up with. any tips for care? Honestly when I first saw it I thought it might have been a colorama (until I saw a pic)

6. Chanticleer

Chanticleer Member

Oh! If the plant really is pinkish, check out Cordyline terminalis ("Hawaiian ti plant"). There are several colour combos out there. If it's a Dracaena, I'd suggest giving it moderately bright light (east or west window) and water sparingly, letting the first few inches of soil dry out between waterings. Cordyline generally likes brighter light and a consistently moist soil.

7. MOCHA

MOCHA Active Member

ooohh my gosh, see I looked all over for cordyline and turned up nothing : ( I thought the same thing. It has more purple I mean like a deep almost velvet purple. then the variegated pink on top. I also think it may require high hunidity due to the brown leaf tips.maybe salt damage which draceana's are sensitive to. right?

8. Joe Keller

Joe Keller Active Member 10 Years

Try Rhoeo. Joe

9. Audsrose

Audsrose Member

10. MOCHA

MOCHA Active Member

OHHH THATS SOO COOL !! thank you so much I have been racking my brain and every other person I talk too as well thank you. Audrey