Leather Jacket Infestation

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by jardineira, Mar 27, 2005.

1. jardineira

jardineira Member

I've been in Canada for 5 years, I'm a new homeowner, who knows nothing (I really mean it) about gardening...just moved to a brand new home recently and last week I received a notice from our builder that there is a Leather Jacket infestation in our area. I tried to find some solution for this infestation on the internet and local nurseries but had no luck. Any suggestions of a product that I can use to prevent this from damaging my lawn? Big thanks!

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

sounds kind of weird to me. what exactly is a leatherjacket "infestation" and what "builder" is an also an entemologist? if you have a bunch of bugs in your yard that you cant identify, catch some and take them to your local nursery, get them to identify them and then you can discuss what might be done about them if anything at all.

3. douglas

douglas Active Member 10 Years

Hi

I agree with Paul what is a leatherjacket infestation? (I were one and have never infested anyware;)

Besides the leatherjackets do not show up in your area for @ 4 to 6 months. Most commonlly they are called crane flies.

Sounds fishy to me.

regards Doug

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

European cranefly, specifically, and not to be confused with harmless native species that have been here all along. Larvae tend to build up in lawns that are really too damp in the first place, cause parts of these to thin from their concentrated feeding. Control efforts are not recommended until at least 25 larvae per square foot are counted, when infested sod is peeled back (if it falls apart, instead of peeling back that might be an indication as well, I suppose). Pesticides applied to kill them have been observed to result in a neighborhood littered with dying robins flopping about, so rushing into control measures is not encouraged.

5. We have also recently move to a new home and have found that our new lawn has been completely eaten away by leather jackets, at night the area was alive with these bugs. We have already applied a product to kill them, and this resulted in approx 1 - 2 thousand leather jackets dead on the surface of our once beautiful lawn. ( yes we did sweep them all up to avoid any problems to the wild life), HOWEVER TWO WEEKS ON WE HAVE NOW RESORTED TO GOING OUT AT NIGHT WITH A TORCH TO PICK UP THE HUNDREDS OF LEATHER JACKETS THAT WERE NOT KILLED.

I would love to hear from anyone who can help us with this on going problem. I have heard that laying a black plastic bag over an area will bring them to the surface so that you can pick them up or allow the birds to eat them. But I have yet to try this.

Jan Shrapnell
    Wiltshire
    England

6. what did you put on the lawn to kill the latherjackets?? I have the same problem unfortunately...

7. Hi Jan,

I am a few days behind you but not my lawn! I've now lost about a third of it and have been out every night squashing this wretched grubs and reckon to be on about 600+ so far. But I still see more and more and 100's of their little exit holes across the lawn in the morning.

Please can you tell me what you used to kill your first wave, I've not been able to get anything anywhere.

Thanks and Good luck!
    Peter in Surrey/UK

8. Have the same problem, found a product online "leather jacket killer" by a company called Nemasys. Not tried it yet as you have to apply it late August to october when the Crane flies are seen.They state it is a safe & effective way to control leatherjackets no toxic chemicals are used making it safe to use near children & wildlife.

9. Jan Shrapnell

Jan Shrapnell Member

I used Vine Wevil Killer, this is quite expensive, make sure you soak the ground. you will need to pick them up as they come upto the surface, as they will kill any wildlife.

Just a tip, they are active around 12.00 at night, especially when it has been raining. this would be the best time to treat your lawn as have maximum effect. unfortunately we did not know this, which is why i am still going around at night to pick up any which come to the surface.

Around August you can obtain a leather jacket killer, which kills the eggs, so with a bit of luck we may not have the same problem next year.

10. Jan Shrapnell

Jan Shrapnell Member

I used Vine Wevil Killer, this is quite expensive, make sure you soak the ground. you will need to pick them up as they come upto the surface, as they will kill any wildlife.

Just a tip, they are active around 12.00 at night, especially when it has been raining. this would be the best time to treat your lawn to have maximum effect. unfortunately we did not know this, which is why i am still going around at night to pick up any which come to the surface.

Around August you can obtain a leather jacket killer, which kills the eggs, so with a bit of luck we may not have the same problem next year.

Good luck

11. Perfect! Thanks,
    Peter