Rooting Citrus from cuttings

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Gregn, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Gregn

Gregn Active Member 10 Years

Here is a question on propagating citrus from cuttings....
    I have allowed some suckers to grow from 'below the graft' for the purposes of
    growing my own rootstock for future expansion. Now in the last 5 to 6 weeks
    the suckers have grown to about 30 cm in length and I think it is about time to try and root them. They are trifoliate suckers although one looks like it may be the flying dragon strain. The wood is thin and thorns are soft and pliable. I have 2 types of rooting hormone a #1 for soft wood and a # 2 for semi hard wood. which type is best to use for rooting this type of citrus? What about other types ? What type of soil should I use? Any other tips on this would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Greg

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

The best size cutting to root is the thickness of a pencil. If you do not have a mist system set up to root your cuttings, then leave a couple leaves attached to the cutting. Wound the bottom of the cutting on both sides, by scraping off the cutical layer. You can use either the #1 or #2. Be sure to sterilize the rooting medium in your oven before inserting the cutting. Cover with a plastic bag. Bottom heat 90F (32C) helps GREATLY. Place in a bright light area, but not in direct sun). Should take 4-8 weeks. - Millet