Pachira Macrocarpa

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by dragonfly, Apr 30, 2006.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly Member

Hello everyone!!

I have had my pachira for about 5 years now.
    It always has been doing great, looking beautiful and strong..

Recently though, i have noticed, that some of the leaves seem to loose their dark green coloring. They turn yellowish, light green, only the veines, (look like the lines in my hands, dont know how else to describe it) are darker green?

Is this old age, did i accidentely water it too much?

I also have one leave that has an small opening that is white and somehow flaky.
    Also, i was wondering, if the plant can be moved outside.

If yes, what would i have to do, be careful of, what location etc???

Thanks yah all

Dragonfly

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hello Dragonfly, (Wow, I can't believe no one had taken that name on the forums before!)

I have not grown this plant, but I do note there have been a lot of posts about it. Try using the Search function (on the green bar at the top of the page) to find them. Look for Pachira and also try a search for "money plant."

3. Rima

Rima Active Member

Hi, when a plant does that (and my Pach. has done it too) it needs more nitrogen and/or magnesium, so look for a fertilizer with a slightly higher 1st # and check the trace minerals on the label for amt. of mag. vs other fert. types.

4. Bombadill

Bombadill Member

The plant malady you describe sounds like what is called chlorosis. It is a simple mineral deficiency most often of iron or zinc. These are rain forest trees that are adapted well to both under and over watering...so it is unlikely from that. A good plant food with trace minerals or a specialized plant food made to treat chlorosis might be indicated. Many plants that are "acid loving" are unable to use the nutrition in the soil even if there is plenty unless the soil is also slightly acid. I've found that recycling my spent tea grounds from making either loose leaf or bag tea and used as a top dressing on the soil will provide some organic acidity to the soil. Nitrogen alone will not green plants that have some trace element deficiency, and too much can cause unwanted growth sprurts for plants we want to keep at an "indoor" size.