In The Garden: philippine "serpentina"?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by susancorpuz, Nov 4, 2008.

1. susancorpuz

susancorpuz Member

please help me identify this plant. an old lady is selling this as a medicinal herb in the province of bulacan in the philippines. she said that this is called serpentina. but when i searched online, i only get the result "Rauvolfia serpentina (L.) Benth." which doesn't look the same as what she has, esp. the buds. i took photos of the plant yesterday and today. i can't wait for the buds to bloom, thus the photos.

Attached Files:

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  3. susancorpuz

susancorpuz Member

Thank you very much, saltcedar! It really looks like Andrographis paniculata. However, I will show the plant to an expert in the University of the Philippines just to make sure. Thanks again!

4. tabligan joevic

tabligan joevic Member

Actually I had a friend who introduced serpentina to me. He told me that it help him with his diabetes. He gave me some seedlings and I have planted it in my garden.

I tried to taste the fresh leave but it's has a very strong taste. I tried to dried the leave but I have light ashma attack every time I smell the odor of the dried leaves. It has a very strong odor. I am also trying to verify it's medical application. I would appreciate if somebody can give us more informations if it's safe to take it and at what doz.

5. susancorpuz

susancorpuz Member

tabligan joevic, does the plant you have looks like the one i have posted? andrographis paniculata is the active ingredient in ABS Herbs which can be bought in local drug stores.
    For homemade herb preparation and dosage, I found this website: http://bouldernaturallabs.com/healthlibrary/andrographis-paniculata-herb.html
    However, please consult a physician and herbalist before taking the concoction.

6. tabligan joevic

tabligan joevic Member

yes it's exactly the same. thanks a lot. Were you able to talk to people from UP about this plant

7. susancorpuz

susancorpuz Member

I was not able to bring a sample when I went to UPLB last month. But I plan to go visit next month during the fair. I'll keep you posted. ciao!

8. tabligan joevic

tabligan joevic Member

Noted. tks. Try to ask them at what stage of the plant is very effective. as young or mature stage ba. Kasi if you have tasted the leaves masaydo ma pait. I'm just wondering if this can lower blood sugar for diabetic person. Ang ABS ba what generic name gamit nila. Tks

9. tabligan joevic

tabligan joevic Member

Anong fair mayron sa UPLB?

10. aileendc77

aileendc77 Member

hi this is aileen from bulacan..i've been taking serpentina herbs until now. i was diagnosed as having a goiter and thyroid cyst..now wla na sya. everything is back to normal.

11. aileendc77

aileendc77 Member

its not actually serpentina.un din ang alam ko na name nya. 2lad mo i searched on the net and found rauwolfia serpentine..but what we actually looking for is ANDOGRAPHIS PANICULATA, try mo yan i search parehong pareho sa picture na pindala mo..
    somebody introduced this plant to my mother gamot daw sa lahat..ang hirap inumin neto kasi sobrang pait. so wat we did was we dried the leaves and then put it in an empty capsule for us to be able to swallow easily. so far wla nako goiter and thyroid cyst, e2 lang inom ko..i dont know if its a miracle..all i know is that im healthy again.

12. lopau16

lopau16 Member

i know this plant serpentina.. this leaves are very bitter.. taste it... but this herbal medicine can cure 40+ sickness..

13. francismoses

francismoses Member

I'm confined here in hospital here in Pasig right now. My aunt just handed me a plastic full of these leaves. I'm about to try some. Hope it does work

14. elo0403

elo0403 Member

francismoses, how are you now? Any positive effect of the "serpentina" after taking it?

A friend also offered me this herb just this morning to cure my hyperuricemia (high uric acid level). Before I start taking it, I wanted to check first the veracity of his claim that it can cure many illnesses such as gasthritis, and my long time hyperuricemia. He told me that he chews 15 leaves every morning with a cup off coffee to soften the bitter taste to cure his high uric acid level. Now he can normally eat peanuts, beans, isaw, and other food to avoid when you have hyperuricemia. He can even drink beer again without worrying of joint pains afterwards. Anyone, please advise. Thanks.

15. francismoses

francismoses Member

sadly, i was not ablt to continue taking them so i have no insights about it.. boo me!

16. elo0403

elo0403 Member

It's alright. Thanks anyway. 'Hope you're well now.

Anyone who can share, please do so. Many thanks!

17. philherbal

philherbal New Member

Just want to share my own experience of the phillippine serpentina, not the one from India. I had an excruciating abdominal gas pain, I couldn't even sit on the sofa, I was on the floor, sweating. My sister got a handful of serpentina leaves, 7 or 8 pieces, pour it with boiling water and made me drink the potion. I even chewed and ate the leaves, in few minutes, the pain just vanished, I just couldn't believe it...

Another incidence, not mine, the dog owned by the caretaker in the school where my sister was a school supervisor, was lying down and seemed to be dying. The school drivers and owner of the dog thought of getting serpentina leaves and forced it to the mouth of the dog, the dog after few minutes stood up as if nothing happened.

I'm searching on the other benefits of serpentina. I'm thinking that it can be of great help to my aunt who has a sores in her mouth for months already. We are awaiting for the result of the biopsy. She also had a stroke and was confined in ICU for one week, she's back in her room now, still with oxygen, she still cannot eat through her mouth, she eats through NGT, and she also has developed a pneumonia. Once she can eat through mouth, we'll also try the serpentina which is also said to be anti-inflammatory and decongestant. Hope it would help cure her, especially the sores in her mouth.

18. Fe Lago

Fe Lago New Member

Hi, I know this plant. We call this as "Swangga". It has a bitter taste. And I am actually looking for this plant since I transferred here in North Cotabato. This is good for stomach pain.

19. Milagros S. Serrana

Milagros S. Serrana New Member

Hi Aileen, I am diagnosed with a lot of nodules and cyst in my thyroid. How did you take the serpentina? I hope to get healed of my thyroid cysts, too. Thanks for responding soon.

20. Milagros S. Serrana

Milagros S. Serrana New Member

Yes, it does look like Andographis paniculata. It is also called serpentina. Its leaves are quite bitter. One of my neighbors took it for tea every morning and his cyst diasappeared.

21. Anne26

Anne26 New Member

Hi there..may i ask you where did you buy the empty capsule..i tried serpintina and it helped me in my mouth sore and whant yo give it to ny daughter without tasting it