Identification: Plant ID Please: Heart Shaped Leaves, Vine-like, red horn shaped flowers

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by shadetc, Jul 16, 2006.

1. shadetc

shadetc Member

I have a plant that I recieved from a friend when she was moving apartments. I took it and it started growing very vine-like. I've had it for about a year and it loves the sun and lots of water. Since moving to my new condo (4th floor, lots of windows and east facing) it has really grown a lot and to my surprise it has started flowering. The flowers are red and trumpet horn shaped when fully bloomed.

So far it seems to be doing well by dumb luck but I would like to know a bit more about it so I can figure out how best to take care of it. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. shadetc

shadetc Member

I've attached a picture of the flower in bloom. Apparently it preferrs to open up at night.

Attached Files:

3. Chanticleer

Chanticleer Member

It's obviously a night-blooming Ipomoea (morning glory) of some sort, but I can't pinpoint the exact species/cultivar. It resembles Ipomoea alba (moonflower, the most common night bloomer of the genus), which is usually white, but is sometimes offered in shades of pink. Whichever it is, yours appears to be happy.

4. shadetc

shadetc Member

Yes it does seem to be doing well. Since this plant seems to enjoy climbing so much I was considering getting a bit of a trellis for my wall. I have a section of brick in between two of my windows that is about 14' tall. Any potential issues with that? The biggest problem with this plant seems to be supporting the branches.

5. Chanticleer

Chanticleer Member

I think that's an excellent idea! The branches will need some help staying put, but whatever you use to attach them to the trellis should be on the loose side, to prevent girdling. As you've probably noticed, your plant lacks grabbing tendrils and is fairly stiff. That's because this plant is technically (pedantically?) a scrambler rather than a climbing vine, which would normally grow in a spreading, mat-forming habit, often over a shrub or other supporting structure.

If it outgrows the trellis (or you decide to move), you can always prune it back as needed. (Odd advice coming from me, who can't bring himself to cut Gladiolus flowers, even when specifically grown for the vase.) May your Ipomoea continue to flourish!

6. shadetc

shadetc Member

Yes, I did notice that it isn't a true self-attaching vine so I'm definitely going to have to get some plant ties to do it as a trellis. As for pruning it I have no worries as when I was first playing around with it and trying to get it to thrive I had to prune it back to almost the base stems in order to allow it to grow again. Once you've take the chance of hacking a plant to almost nothing it makes you a bit bolder in general pruning. :)

Thanks for all the advice and help!

7. Alice Rehders

Alice Rehders Member

It looks like an Angel Trumpet. Look them up and take a look at the leaves. Mine blooms at night, but has white blooms. However, it comes in several colors. Has a sweet smell.

8. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Mirabilis Sp.,but why are we responding to a year old thread?

HTH
    Chris

9. Alice Rehders

Alice Rehders Member

Perhaps it is because I just joined and did not notice the date on the inquiry.

10. lotsalocks

lotsalocks Member

Actually... I believe this is known as an 8 o'clock here in NC, and a 4 o'clock up north.... propogates thru seeds....and spreads realllly well... pulls well too, if you get too many... makes neat little 1/4" or a little bigger seed pods, in the shape of a lemon or lime...that are black...
    mine are multicolored flowers.... like you painted them yellow or pink...and splashed the opposite color all over them... really cool looking.... I don't have to stake mine or anything...but they're outside.... they like it outside...

11. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Looks like a mirabilis to me also. Not a vine, just floppy because it is being grown behind a window.

12. lotsalocks

lotsalocks Member

welp, I finally thought to look up mirabilis...and low and behold... (learn something new everyday)... THAT is the name of 4 o'clock, or 8 o'clock as we call it here... I know this thread is old.... but in case someone else stumbled upon it like I did today... it might help...