Growing Kiwi Plants in South Florida

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Todd82TA, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Todd82TA

Todd82TA Member

Hey guys,

I live in Zone 10b. I'm going to be building a trellis (sp?) on the North-East side of my home, which gets plenty of morning sun and then is shaded through the rest of the day until around 4 or 5:00. It's typically at least 10 degrees cooler on that side of my house as apposed to the South-West side.

Since I live in Zone 10b, I was wondering if Kiwis vines will even be able to grow there. Is it going to be too hot? My dirt is basically black gold. It used to be a cow pasture about 100 years ago, so literally, I can put a dead stick in the ground and a new plant will grow from it.

Thanks for any advice!

Todd (Zone 10b)

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

This being a significant commercial fruit crop if it is thought to be at all suitable for your climate there is probably something about it on the web site of Florida Cooperative Extension.

3. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

oops double post

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  4. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

http://www.kiwifruit.org/KiwifruitVarieties-i-50-35.html here is a link that shows some low chill varietys. i have not heard to many success stories about getting the kiwi to fruit here in florida especially in south florida. if you are close to fairchild tropical gardens or maybe even fruit and spice park in south florida than it may be worth a visit if they are not growing them than its not likely you will get fruit very often if at all. but than again i have an apple with two varietys on it that will produce small golf ball sized apples i am in west central fla. have never tried growing kiwi but they are not one of my favorite fruits.of you have a rare fruit council near you're area you could go to one of the meetings and talk to a few people to see if they have or know of anyone that has grown kiwi in you're area. worth a shot if you really like kiwi but even if you cannot get them to grow there are allot of fruits that grow in florida that are worth growing and eating. everyone has there favorites. and there will not eats in fruits. good luck with the kiwis

5. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

I tried them here in NW FL and never even got a bloom. Vines got big--over 30 ft, and I pruned according to the book.

Skeet

6. lolly

lolly Member

skeeterbug,
    Have you had any luck with your kiwi since your last post?
    thanks
    lolly