North Vancouver

Discussion in 'VCBF Neighbourhood Blogs' started by beeleelim, Apr 21, 2009.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I'm sorry that nothing in this posting is in bloom right now - either finished or coming.

The first trees I passed on the way to the Silk Purse Gallery to see the Textile Translation of Cherry Blossoms show were these two 'Shirofugen'. What interested me here was that the tree on the left, closer to Marine Dr, has avium growth from high on the trunk, but the tree on the right has 'Shirofugen' growth from the trunk, and avium growth from the ground. These two trees were surely planted at the same time, but had been grafted differently.
    20120420_15thMarine_Shirofugen_Cutler_P1210476.jpg 20120420_15thMarine_Shirofugen_Cutler_P1210481.jpg
    20120420_15thMarine_Shirofugen_Cutler_P1210483.jpg 20120420_15thMarine_Shirofugen_Cutler_P1210486.jpg 20120420_15thMarine_Shirofugen_Cutler_P1210487.jpg

This very nice planting of eight 'Shirofugen' is at a little park area at 14th and Argyle. It should be in bloom next week. There's also an area of newer 'Akebono' in this park.
    20120420_14thArgyle_Shirofugen_Cutler_P1210491.jpg 20120420_14thArgyle_Shirofugen_Cutler_P1210495.jpg 20120420_14thArgyle_Shirofugen_Cutler_P1210499.jpg 20120420_14thArgyle_Akebono_Cutler_P1210496.jpg

Not far from here, just across the tracks on 14th at Bellevue, are 'Kanzan' on the west side of the street, and a new double row of 'Akebono', then a very new double row of 'Shirofugen'. The 'Shirofugen' are planted less than 3M apart, which seems very close. I can see doing that if then they'll remove alternate ones to some other location, but I'm guessing they'll eventually just prune them so they look strange.
    20120420_14thMarineDr_Kanzan_Cutler_P1210502.jpg 20120420_14thMarineDr_Akebono_Cutler_P1210503.jpg 20120420_14thMarineDr_Shirofugen_Cutler_P1210504.jpg 20120420_14thMarineDr_Shirofugen_Cutler_P1210505.jpg

The 'Kanzan' are just about ready to open. These are at the bus stop on Marine at 14th and on Bellevue at 13th.
    20120420_MarineDr14th_Kanzan_Cutler_P1210507.jpg 20120420_13thBellevue_Kanzan_Cutler_P1210490.jpg

2. DeborahSim

DeborahSim Active Member

100 block E 2nd Street near St Georges - 4 types of cherries in bloom at the same time

Shirotae, Kanzan, Shirofugen and Ukon - will post individually

3. DeborahSim

DeborahSim Active Member

On condo driveway near 130 E 2nd Street

6 nice Shirofugen starting to bloom, will be in top form later

Added location to map

Attached Files:

4. DeborahSim

DeborahSim Active Member

mid 100 block East 2nd Street

2 Ukon with yellow tint blossoms on the north side of the street.

Added location to map

Attached Files:

5. DeborahSim

DeborahSim Active Member

175 East 2nd Street (corner of East 2nd at St Georges)

Almost a dozen cherry trees planted outside Manyo Restaurant.

This first bunch out front of the restaurant are 6-8 Kanzan pink double blossom along with 1 white tree which might even be a plum.

The first photo attached show the pink Kanzan blossoms with one branch of white blossoms growing on the tree which looks like this branch has been cross-pollinated from the white tree located adjacent?

The next 2 photos show the white tree which is the same size as the Kanzan - any ideas as to cultivar of the white tree?

Added Kanzan location to map.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  6. DeborahSim

DeborahSim Active Member

175 East 2nd Street - on St Georges Ave side of building

A trio of trees in bloom - Shirotae in late bloom on the left, Kanzan in the middle, and Ukon on the right. You can see the white vs. yellow blossom colour when viewing these trees side by side.

Have added Shirotae and Ukon locations to the map individually.

Attached Files:

7. DeborahSim

DeborahSim Active Member

On SW corner of ICBC Building plaza where this year's Festival Favourites are located - actual street location is 168 Chadwick Court above the North Vancouver seabus terminal:

6 Kanzan in bloom with views beyond to the Vancouver skyline

1 Shirofugen with extra green leaved white flower branch - getting ready to bloom

Added locations to map

Attached Files:

8. wcutler

I can't see the photo all that well on my laptop - am I imagining sepals curled back and uneven scalloping on the leaf edges? Looks like avium, sweet cherry. Probably used to be a 'Kanzan'.

9. DeborahSim

DeborahSim Active Member

Jack Loucks Court - 100 block W 1st - 2 'Shogetsu' I added quite a few photos as the Cherry books says it is an uncommon variety!

Well the last 2 of the 10 cherry trees are in bloom on this walkway - they look like 'Shogetsu'. (See also pictures in this thread post 14 - 6 'Akebono' and post 37 for 2 'Shirotae' at this location).

First set of these 'Shogetsu' photos were taken April 12 - green leaves emerged before buds, buds squarish and emerged pink. 2nd set of photos taken today, double white petals look more serrated than rounded and are fringed pointing downward with extra long stems.

Good work by Durante Krueck landscape architects to plant 3 cherry types that bloom in succession on this walkway, the area could have ended up with allot more concrete and a lot less beauty.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  10. DeborahSim

DeborahSim Active Member

3 large 'Shirofugen' 130 West 5th Street just west of Lonsdale. This building was built in the 1960's so perhaps these trees are that old as well. Added location to map.

Attached Files:

11. DeborahSim

DeborahSim Active Member

3 dozen or so 'Kanzan' trees line the median on Mt. Seymour Parkway between Riverside Drive and Browning Place. A nice splash of pink colour for commuters in an area dominated by tall evergreens. Added location to map

Attached Files:

12. DeborahSim

DeborahSim Active Member

10 'Kanzan' trees brighten up the Save-On Foods parking lot Park and Tilford Shopping Centre. I like finding cherry trees in parking lots and gas stations - it gives me an opportunity to drink in some beauty in a place I least expect to find it!

Added location to map.

13. DeborahSim

DeborahSim Active Member

8 well cared for 'Shirofugen' trees on the SW corner of West 8th Street at Chesterfield. They are properly spaced apart and planted with a wide enough area around the trunks so that the lawn mower doesn't get close enough to damage the base of the trees - they seem very health and happy! Added to map.

Attached Files:

14. DeborahSim

DeborahSim Active Member

40 or more 'Kanzan' trees in bloom in the 100 block West 8th Street near the Anglican church and around the corner onto 13th Street. Popular with all ages today :)

Added location to map.

Attached Files:

15. DeborahSim

DeborahSim Active Member

Very large 'Ichiyo' 348 East 17th Street near Ridgeway North Vancouver

I literally just put away my Ornamental Cherries in Vancouver guide on the bookshelf today as I thought I'd seen all the varieties blooming on the North Shore this year... until I drove past this gorgeous very large tree!

It is in full bloom earlier than the 'Shirofugen' locally and the petals are almost 5 cm in diameter.

The green leaves accent the soft pink petals which I can only describe as looking like the colour of swirling pink cotton-candy - perhaps not scientific or botanical but that is what comes to mind.

Added location to map.

Attached Files:

16. Susanhuang28

Susanhuang28 Active Member

There are many cherry trees in full bloom on both side of Tempe Glen Dr., but I don't know the name.

Attached Files:

17. Susanhuang28

There are three unknown cheery trees in full bloom between 2786 to 2766 Tempe Knoll Dr.

Attached Files:

18. wcutler

19. Susanhuang28

There are 5 'Amanogawa' in full bloom at 2979 Mountain Highway which is Chevron Gas Station.

20. Susanhuang28

Many 'Kanzan' are in full bloom on both side of the end of Tempe Knoll, Munday PL. and East 26th Street.

Attached Files:

21. Susanhuang28

There are 25 'Shirofugen' trees in full bloom on both side of Tempe Glen Dr.[GMAP][/GMAP]

Attached Files:

22. Susanhuang28

There are 4 'Shirofugen' in 80% bloom on both side of Wilding Way.[GMAP][/GMAP]

Attached Files:

23. DeborahSim

DeborahSim Active Member

3 small Shogetsu trees at 730 East Keith Road (north side) near Sutherland Avenue still in bloom May 12th. The trunks are narrow and upright with branches starting at approx. 5.5 to 6 feet.

Attached Files:

24. DeborahSim

DeborahSim Active Member

Update for Feb 22, 2013

This young Whitcomb is about 20% in bloom now. So nice to see some pink colour!

25. DeborahSim

DeborahSim Active Member

Update for 2013 season: This older Whitcomb is around 20% in bloom.