Identification: Eye-catching but foul smelling

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Eric La Fountaine, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

The following was received via email:

Thank you for your interesting Web Site. We've had a lot of rain in Charleston, South Carolina this week and these eye-catching but foul smelling fungi popped up in our yard. I know you are on the opposite side of the continent from us, but I'm hoping you might know what they are. They are growing in areas with pine bark and hard wood mulch and we also saw some among pine trees nearby. The one I labeled immature has a translucent jelly on the exterior and in the central cavity seems to be exuding a dark green-brown slime. The slime is visible on a broken piece from a different individual next to it as well. They are mostly irregular in shape, although there is the one with the 3-fold symmetry in top and side views.

We've been living here for 6 years and we've never seen anything like them. We did switch from pine bark mulch to hard wood mulch last summer. Perhaps that has something to do with it?

Thanks again for your helpful web site.

Laura

Attached Files:

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years