Identification: purple/green/fuzzy...what?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Woodsprite, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Woodsprite

Woodsprite Active Member

I bought this plant 2 years ago in a 3" pot. The thing grows easily and fills out quickly. I just recently trimmed 12" off the ends of 15 branches and it is already filling back in. It has very brittle stems, long pointed leaves each are thick, fleshy and fuzzy.
    I've posted this plant before and the response was incorrect. The plant in the picture with the engligh ivy is mine the other is a picture of a purpea. They are not the same.
    They are alike in that they both become more purple with increased sunlight exposure. But unlike the purpea the leaves grow at intervals and not paired. It does not grow upright and doesn't flower. I know they look quite similar but I've become quite familiar with my plant and in the details they are quite different.
    I've searched and cannot find my plant. I hope someone knows what it is because I don't believe it is a purpea.

Attached Files:

2. Rhynno

Rhynno Active Member

the one on the right looks rather like a Zebrina Pendula Purpusii to me, otherwise known as a bronze inch plant (its leaves grow at intervals from what I recall). Other than that it could be a Setcreasea Purpurea (which might be the plant that you're saying it isn't). Either way the care for both plants is borderline the same. Enjoy!

3. Woodsprite

Woodsprite Active Member

No kidding? Where can I find info about this Zebra?
    Here's another pic of the purpurea...this is the one I based my original comparison on. I can see so many differences.
    Thanks Rhynno!

Attached Files:

4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

there are many varieties in the 'wandering jew' family. that's in the tradescantia genus and it includes all the wj's as well as spiderworts and the 'oyster plant'. there are about 70 varieties

what you have in the first post looks like tradescantia pallida cv. "purple heart". i'm referring to the hanging plant in the pic on the right. the one on the left looks like it might be the oyster plant.

the last pic - i agree. they are different. you will find both with the same name though, if you do a google search. i have the second one and i have to check my computer at home for the latin name for it...will do that later. it's not t. pallida; although, it does have a common name similar to purple heart.

since there are so many and they are very close, it's easy for them to be mis-identified.