Best soil mixture for a Banana plant? What type of Banana plant is this?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Plant Newbie, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Plant Newbie

Plant Newbie Active Member

Hi all,

I bought this little guy today and want to re-pot him into a 6-8" pot. What's the best soil mixture for a banana plant? I've read that they need well draining soil. I'm thinking of using a mixture of Miracle Grow Moisture Controlâ„¢ potting mix, Perlite, orchid mix, and some peat moss... Also, does anyone know what type of banana plant it is?

Thanks kindly!

Roanna

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Anything written on the back of the sign, including what kind it is?

3. Plant Newbie

Nope, just some basic care instructions...

4. Plant Newbie

This is the back...

Attached Files:

5. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

I found the instruction to avoid direct sunlight of interest since banana plants grow in direct sunlight all over the Caribbean and Central America. As for soil, in many countries where these are native they grow in a soil that is mixed with sand. They appear to enjoy a fast draining soil and that has been my personal experience with the 10 or so species I've grown when we lived in Florida. At one time I had over 70 adult plants which sometimes produced fruit.

The best source of information is a small company in Homestead, FL called Going Bananas. The couple that own that small nursery grow every single species of banana, save a couple, that are known on this planet. I believe Don and Katie told me there were around 70 species. Don used to tell me all the time to give my plants fertilizer every month but his suggestion was for a special mix, not the normal 10-10-10. I'm sure if you dropped him a note he would respond and answer your questions.

Here's a link to their website:
    http://www.going-bananas.com/

6. buzzwinder

buzzwinder Member

Loves Park, Illinois, United States of America
    Hi, I'm new growing Bananas as well, I'm in N. Illinois,Zone 5, I found a site that is loaded with info and very friendly members willing to assist with any questions you have! check out http://Bananas.Org These people are growing most every type of Banana plant there is. welcome to wonderful world of Bananas, use care as you may well become a Banana Feind :) Best Wishes. Bill

7. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

I concur with Bill (buzzwinder) regarding www.bananas.org
    There's very little they can't help you with on that message board.

Cheers, Barrie.

8. Plant Newbie

Great, thanks for the info everyone!

9. bihai

bihai Well-Known Member 10 Years

Bananas.org is absolutely the #1 banana site. Gabe and company are knowledgeable and helpful.
    I don't know why your tag would say to avoid the sun either...all my bananas grow in full sun 365 days a year, except my Ae Ae which gets more filtered light.

You shouldn;t fertilize your banana heavily if you are going to keep it in a container, especially if its going to be indoors. Monthly heavy feeding is more for plants in the ground. I follow Don of Going Banana's advice and I do fertilize my bananas heavily every month during the growing season, and it really does make a difference. I have bought several bananas from him in person over the last 6 months at various FL sales and he is very helpful. I harvested a hand of fruit yesterday, as a matter of fact, so his advice definitely pays off.

10. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

I have a dwarf Cavendish that doesn't seem to care for direct light, it's fine if it gets it, but does better with dappled. Potted in 80% manure ( steer I think).

11. bihai

bihai Well-Known Member 10 Years

It may be simply marketing for where you live. I see the bottom of the tag is translated into French...that would be a rarity here in FLorida,LOL.
    Banana plants and most other tropical plants sold here are kind of expected to go into the ground, not to be kept in containers. Most aren't expected to be utilized as houseplants or "wintered over" inside a stucture either (of course, it depends on where you live...I have to protect heliconia and plumeria but everything else stays in the ground). The warning to avoid direct sunlight may have to do with keeping it under protection in less light, then bringing it out in Spring. Maybe they don't want you to burn it by putting it into high light too fast.

12. christabel

christabel Member

Bihai I think you are right about sunlight warning meaning in the spring so it doesnt get burned. I burned my avocado this past spring when I put it out so that warning makes sense in that way.

lol its the law up here everything has french on it , everything.