My tulips produced hundreds of seed!

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by MickiS, Oct 8, 2008.

1. MickiS

MickiS Active Member

Hi Many of my tulips developed seed pods which I harvested. I would like to attempt growing them. We have frozen winters here. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has knowledge about the process. I understand that it will be several years before they bloom. Can I plant them directly into the garden now ( Oct. ) or should I plant them in the house, or next spring? Do they need stratification first?

I tried growing some of the seeds indoors but they did not germinate. It has now been over 2 months so I have put the tray outside and covered it with snow. The tray has drain holes and is in a protected area on my porch on the south side of the house. I will keep you posted as to what happens if anything. MickiS

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2009
  2. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

Tulips have bulbs and so they come back every year. If you want to get a head start then plant them inside ( seeds) which you might want to do first. Then put the small plant outside in the spring and that might give it enough time to make a bulb.
    Blake09

ps Did you dry the seeds out ?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2009
  3. MickiS

MickiS Active Member

Hi the seeds were dry when I harvested them. They were left in a cool place for a month and then planted indoors in a flat of soiless mixture. I didn't cover them or give them bottom heat but did initially water well and then sprayed to moisten. Nothing happened...........so I put the flat outside in the snow.
    I still have many more seeds so will try a couple of things
    a) stratify some of the seeds by putting into peat moss in the fridge for a couple of months....then planting indoors in flats and transplanting when it is warm out.
    b) direct planting some of the above seeds into the flower bed
    c) and?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  4. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

The seeds might be duds. I dont know much more?

5. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

6. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

That healped alot. Thanks :) MickiS neads to read this!!
    Blake09

7. MickiS

MickiS Active Member

Hi Eric and Blake09,
    this is great information. I think I will plant some more of seeds in flats and try putting them in different locations. Can you imagine if even 1/4 of them grow? I can't wait to see what they will look like....guess I may have to wait a long time...but it will be worth it! cheers!

8. MickiS

MickiS Active Member

Hi well I planted many seeds and waited for them to germinate indoors. They did not. I then put them outdoors with snow on them. Still no germination.
    I have some seeds in a bag in the fridge and will try to germinate these indoors later this winter/spring. Any luck out there anyone?
    Oh a matter of possible interest is that the tulips that I let go to seed did not return the next spring. :( I guess it took everything out of them. I do hope I get some seeds to grow.

9. Dave-Florida

Dave-Florida Active Member

All the cultivated varieties are derived from seed, somewhere in the past....there must be some tulip breeders out there who know about getting seed to grow.

The genus Tulipa has a pretty wide distribution from north Africa through central Asia (China has a number of species). When I lived in Wyoming, I was impressed that tulips seemed pretty hardy, and seemed to prosper in situations where they weren't watered while dormant during the summer.

The North American genus Camassia offers some further opportunities for fun with naturalizing.

10. April S

April S Member

I wish you luck with your tulip seeds, Micki. Off topic, but could you say what rose that is on your posts? It is exquisite!

April

11. MickiS

MickiS Active Member

Thank you April. I am sorry but the tag is under the snow...I think it is Amber something.
    I should know better in March. :)