Identification: plant that looks like tarantula legs

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by dragonflyway, Feb 12, 2008.

1. dragonflyway

dragonflyway Member

I've moved into an office with a mysterious plant I have never seen before. Unfortunately I don't have access to a camera so I will do my best to describe it.

I has long 'legs', much like those of a tarantula - skinny & brown with light beige 'fur'. Legs are about 12 inches long with kinks. (Like a rough, dried-out pipe-cleaner).

Coming out of the legs about every 1.5 to 2 inches are very thin green stems which are bare for the first few inches and then have thin, narrow green leafs. (similar to those in the photo of the day)

It's quite droopy and dried out at the moment, not sure there's much that can be done for it, but any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

I suspect some kind of fern, maybe a Davallia trichomanoides (Squirrel's Foot Fern) (Rabbit's Foot Fern)

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Re-moisten and see if it recovers.

4. dragonflyway

dragonflyway Member

Thank you both, that's definitely it!

5. DGuertin

DGuertin Active Member 10 Years

Yup, sounds like a davallia. It will need light and moderate light watering. Naturally grows as an epiphyte, so keep that in mind.