Sternbergia colchiciflora,very rear plant

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by Kola Jan, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Kola Jan

Kola Jan Member

Pleas do anyboady know how to get bulb or seed of this plant?
    Other ten species of shepherdia is much easier to get, but this specie?
    Thanks,answer pleas to nokal1@seznam.cz
    another way I am growing actinidias,mainly a.kolomikta bigfruited

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

3. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Several scientific sources including some of the Kew's sites and the USDA list Sternbergia colchiciflora Waldst. & Kit. as an endangered species. This could be very difficult to obtain legally.

4. Kola Jan

Kola Jan Member

Thank you, I would like to get it legaly.It grows few peces in slovakia, but I think there is some way botanists can render it from seed to botanical gardens.I love nature much.
    my main interest is to grow fruits, which can be eaten just from bush or tree in garden. today I just have got such plant of sweet hipophae ,I am very glad from it. Thank you for informing me! if you have still somethink to say, write rather on e-mail: nokal1@seznam.cz.Good Year 2010!Jan

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Now it sounds like you are, in fact asking about Shepherdia rather than Sternbergia. You used both genus names in your original post.

6. Kola Jan

Kola Jan Member

excuse me of course stepherdia is colchiciflora. Stepherdia is very comon plant. I found twoo possibilities where to look it in nurseries and I send there question if they are able to deliver it to me, I am weiting for answer.If I can give here some picture I will give it.I can give it only by e-mail. some species of sternbergia you can see here:http://www.amaryllidaceae.org/Sternbergia/index.htm Jan