Identification: What is this plant, and is it toxic?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Mary Peters, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Mary Peters

Mary Peters Member

Hi,

I recently adopted a cat, and as a result I have to find new homes for a few house plants I had which were toxic to pets. One plant I inherited from an ex-roomate. I have no idea what it is, or if it might be dangerous to my cat.

Please help me if you can!

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Heather1

Heather1 Member

To me it looks like it may be a HOYA LANCEOLATA, The foliage is thick and fleshy, glossy and mid- to dark green, the stems are firm and hard. If it is, it may flower with a very sweet smelling flower. Mine has not flowered as yet, although, my sister's flowers often dropping a honey like syprup. I do not know if this is a poisinous plant. Hope this helps. I have attached a photo of my hoya for comparison.

Attached Files:

3. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

that looks like a LipStick plant to me and i did some searching and i dont think it is poisonous to animals .. most cats are pretty good about not chewing on plants and if u can just hang the plants or put them up were the cat usually dont get to ..
    most cats know what is poisonous to them ..

good luck

Marn

4. i agree that is a hoya and I have never heard of any problems with toxicity but if you search Hoya you can get specific info

5. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

My first thought on this one was lipstick plant.

6. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I vote for lipstick plant.

7. carrie

carrie Member

i own both a hoya which looks just like yours by the way (when it flowers its very similar to hoya bella but a much larger version) and i used to own a lip stick plant that isnt a lip stick plant unless i am wrong i thought lipstick plant leaves where slightly furry.

8. Chris Klapwijk

Chris Klapwijk Active Member 10 Years

It looks like an Ocimum basilicum and an Aeschynanthus, probably A. speciosus.
    Note the green stems in Mary's picture: the stems and leaf stems in Heather1's pictures are typical of Hoya spp.

9. epsi

epsi Member

it is a hoya and it is not toxic. cats are not interested in hoyas. the sirup dripping from the flower is very sweet. how do I know? I tasted it. it's a climber so give it something it can climb on and it is not a lipstick plant. just look at the pictures side by side and you'll be convinced.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2006
  10. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hoya is in a family of plants of which most members are poisonous, so I'd not want to say for certain that it isn't toxic; it very likely is, if you chew the leaves.

Simple point is of course, by and large, people (and cats) don't chew leaves. And if one tried, the taste is likely to be so revolting as to make one stop before getting a harmful dose. So it is safe in that respect.

The nectar in the flowers is a different case; nectar does not contain the toxins that may be present in the sap. Nectar evolved to be of food use to animals (insects, etc), whereas sap toxins evolved to discourage animals from eating the leaves.

11. epsi

epsi Member

well, my garden gets visited every summer by hummingbirds. maybe next year, I will get my hoya outside so that they can feed from them.

12. Rima

Rima Active Member

Lipstick plant leaves are much shorter and curl.

13. Nandan Kalbag

Nandan Kalbag Active Member

Hoya nectar is not poisonous. I have tasted it. It is little watery & not as thick as honey.

Attached Files:

14. epsi

epsi Member

I did not know the hoya flowers could be red. mine are white with just a bit of pink in the
    middle.

15. Nandan Kalbag

Nandan Kalbag Active Member

The species in my photo is Haoya purpureo-fusca